problem at classes

Hello, I´m pretty new user and having classes about Blender.
My teacher just asked us to research about a common problem:
“When she selected an object, another one was selected too… why?”
Thanks and sorry about the “silly” question.
I´m very excited in learning the software.
Thanks.

I am guessing they are linked duplicates. The wiki answers all (almost): http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Duplication#Linked_Duplicates

hmmm… could be because:

A. it is treated as one object and she switched from edit mode to object mode and forgot to separate the 2 objects
(2 objects separate but still selectable in edit mode = 1 object selectable in object mode)

B. the object, was reeealy close to the other object she was trying to select

C. DichtomyMatt got it right, and it’s actually a duplivert … although I’ve never had that as a “common” problem
just ask her to use the outliner :smiley:

I think SHE actually knows why and such a riddle approach is a good teaching method. It can work better if the pupil searches and find answers by himself before asking on the forums, because during his research he would actually find out about many other things than the mere answer. I’m sure she can find questions that can’t be as easily answered on that forum. And you’ll soon enough meet one of these anyway. I wish for you to find out that the truth is elsewhere… WELCOME to Blenderartists Samuel :slight_smile:

Hello!
Thanks for all the help.
Maurice, I did search for an answer in a tutorial I found on wikipedia, but I couldn’t find it.
Thank all of you for help and tips.

Good, the blender wiki would have been a better ressource than Wikipedia (maybe that’s what you meant) and Blenderartists is even better. I insist though: don’t be scared to first have a try with all possible solutions directly inside blender and of course check for the answer if you need. My humble opinion is that it will pay off and give you a much faster learning curve in the end. I like people not to give me the answer to riddles before I have tried hard enough… Still, I would be happy to hear more of your teacher’s riddles here.

Understood, Maurice. I’ll try to follow your instructions.

And AMDBCG was right, she created another object while in edit mode.

Thank you.

Yes that was it! :slight_smile: Next question is probably: How can you select all of one part without the other? :wink:

And AMDBCG was right, she created another object while in edit mode.

YAY!

How can you select all of one part without the other? :wink:
Right click a vertex in edit mode, and press the L KEY :stuck_out_tongue: (the press the P KEY to separate)