Problem joining leg with torso

Hi all,

I am having a HUGE problem joining the leg with the torso of a female body I am modeling. I sould mention that this is my first 3D character, so please bear with me. I modeled the leg and the torso from primitve cylinders (with 8 vertices each) hoping that they would align easily with each other but the most the most difficult part for me has been the inner tight. I’ve tried several things but it always looks very crappy.

This is the front view

This is the side view

This is a perspective view from the front
/uploads/default/original/3X/6/3/63ae5b861adad0b2f17737f1be743b8144155765.jpgd=1174156586

This is a perspective view from the back
/uploads/default/original/3X/0/6/061092546247cc857f5e7d2d14e13767fd1eeecd.jpgd=1174156596

Any help would be very appreciated, thx!

Jos

P.D. Sorry if I mispelled something, english is not my native language =)

Attachments

I know it’s probably too late now, but never do what you just did, making completely seperate body parts and trying to attach them. :stuck_out_tongue: I wouldn’t mind trying to attach them, but you’d have to change a lot of the mesh layout to get it to fit.

EDIT: Your spelling is fine, by the way. You speak English better than some native English speakers I know. Actually, ‘bear’ is spelled without that extra e, but seriously, don’t worry that there are problems with your English.

Thanks BlackBoe,

I followed the instructions from a book, so I thought it was fine approach. What are your recommendations in this regard? Sould I start from, let’s say, the head, and then follow all the way through the feet? Do you prefer to use poligons or meshes?

Thx

Jos

I started from the feet, myself, but it really doesn’t matter. Actually, ok, when I say ‘never’ I may be exaggerating, but it’s just very hard to make them both line up once you’ve worked them all into their shapes, it’s a lot better to run with one cohesive unit, that way there aren’t edge mis-matches and weird stuff.

=) I’m going to try that then, but in the mean time I would like to know how to join the leg with the torso because I think it’s a common problem when modeling characters. Anyone has comments or suggestions?

Thx!

Jos

This is actually done very frequently. Freelance artist Ben Mathis uses this technique in a tutorial he made. It’s not a bad method, it just takes some planning beforehand.

You could probably get out of this by using the retopo tool.

Thanks Alden,

I thought I did some planning when I started the modeling based on cylinders with 8 vertices each :stuck_out_tongue: In fact the vertices on the outer leg line up quite easy, my problem is on the inner tight, because if I just split the faces of the front side on the torso, and merge their vertices with the leg, they look awful.

Anyway, I’m going to try the tutorial and see if I can make something up from it. As always, any more help is welcomed.

Jos

Hello again,

I followed one of the tutorials I found on the internet but I’m still having the same problem. I have tried several things but my limited knowledge about character modeling get in the way :frowning:

Here is the front view of my latest (and best so far) try:
/uploads/default/original/3X/1/3/131a4cc28fe8fe13f20c13436ae3cabdf446658d.jpgstc=1&d=1174492619

Here is the side view:
/uploads/default/original/3X/4/7/476e4f2815f6a0d1936d72b57493afab7f8324d2.jpgstc=1&d=1174492619

As you can see in the render, the area between the legs looks awful:

So again, any comments and help would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Jos

Attachments