Problem using the Array Modifier with the Empty

I’m attempting to follow a tutorial by Blender Guru on modeling a car wheel. The version he’s using in the video is (I believe) 2.49, whereas I’m using 2.65. Everything is fine up until the point where he says to add an Empty, press Cntrl+A and select Rotation and Scale to Object Data, doing so for both the Empty and the Mesh. When you set the Array’s Object Offset to Empty, you’re supposed to be able to rotate it like this:

However, when I try to do the same thing, while I get the option to select Rotation and Scale, there’s nothing about Object Data. Then, when I set the Object Offset to Empty, this is what I get:

I don’t know if it’s something I’m doing wrong, or if it’s a bug in the latest release, but it’s getting to the point that I’m ready to start throwing things. I desperately want to finish this tutorial, but I’m stuck here. Can anyone help?

Is your empty and object’s origin point in the same place?
It looks like your objects origin point is above the empties. Select the object, and the hit shift+ctrl+alt+c and select “origin to 3-d cursor”
That is assuming you didnt move the 3d cursor from the image you posted.

Hmmm. I hadn’t thought of that and there was no mention of it in the tutorial. It makes perfect sense, though. Duh! I’m a complete noob in Blender, so you’ll have to forgive me. Thanks for taking the time to respond. You may very well have saved my computer from sailing across the room!

It wasn’t mentioned because if you had followed exactly, it would not have been an issue. Its easy to miss something like that though.