Problem with fingers rig

Hi there,

I used rigify addon to rig a model I made. I was weight painting it when I realized that my character’s fingers are bending in the wrong way. I seached how to fix it, they modify the metarig and then re generated the rig, the only problem I have with that is that I don’t have the metarig (at least I dont find it) and the “re generate rig” option does’t show up. There’s some posibility to fix this problem without start over again?

Here the photos:

Your fingers need a slight bend in them so that the script knows which way to bend the fingers. It doesn’t have to be much of a bend, the bones just can’t be straight out.

The model doesn’t have to have the fingers bent, just the bones need the slightest of bends in the direction that you want them to bend. The reason is that most modelers will never model hands with the fingers straight, nor on an actual axis. So the system is made so that those fingers bend in the correct direction.

1 Like

When FIngers bend the wrong way then this can have different issues:

1. The Fingers are also weightpainted to a differen bone due to errors in automatic weightpaint, and the system is confused where to deform the verticies
  2. The Deformation Bones of the Fingers have the wrong Axis orientation (roll). In that case you need to select the Deform Bones (NOT THE CONTROLLER) that are responsible for the Fingers and “roll” them 180 Degrees in Edit Mode. (In the Armature settings you can Display the Axis Orientation of every Bone. It’s in the visibility Settings)
  3. The Deformation Bones of the Fingers are not correctly aligned with the hands and Fingers.

In general, I would display all deformation bones (those are not the controllers!) and make sure they are correctly aligned and have the correct Rotation. :slight_smile: Automatic Rigs often hide the deform bones and only show controllersm so the animator isnt confused.