Problem with un-parenting (I need to keep the transformations)

I have (many) parent-child relationships through “Object constraints” “child-of”-relationships.
It seems I cannot remove these while keeping the childs transformations?
Alt-P does not seem to work for these. Is there any way to accomplish this?

Many thanks for any help!

As far as I know you can’t apply constraints. I think you could do it in pre 2.5 if I remember correctly.

In the “properties-editor” I went to “object constraints”. Then “add constraint” “child of”. (This is all 2.6.3). I have manny parent-child relationships defined that way. Now when I delete these, I loose the current (global) location of the child. Is there a way to delete the relationship, while keeping its current transformation? (Obviously possible, if I had used Ctrl-P for parenting instead).

Yes I understood what you meant. You would like to apply the transformation that the constraint had made. And as I said I don’t think you can do that. You might get better answers at #blendercoders irc chat.

Well as I said I don’t think you can apply constraints but as I was ranting about it to a friend I found a possible solution which I don’t know how I’ve missed.

You can press Ctr+A and apply Visual Transform. Then delete the constraint and voila!

Thank you!