Problem with weight paint

I’m trying to get a feel for rigging in blend so I’m rigging a single hair strand. I know that blue = 0 weight and red = max weight, and at 0 weight the object technically shouldn’t move/stretch with the selected bone. I’ve come across several problems:

Pic 1:

I’ve removed all weight from the strand with the brush, bone at neutral pose.

Pic 2:

When I rotate the bone, portions with red weight pops up (seems to be inside the hair strand). So my question is how do I apply/remove weight on all faces/vertices of the object, like a cross-section? Say I have camera set to front and start painting, how do I apply the weight to both the front side and the back side?

Pic 3:

I clear the red sections, yet for some reason the strand still seems to be rigged, even though the entire strand is blue now. It’s also heavily distorted. Why is this?

More examples:

(can’t attach more pictures, please use links for images)

I created a weight gradient for the strand so it bends smoothly, but when I rotate the bone, the jagged edges appear as usual and so does the red spots that pop up from inside the mesh. I’m 100% sure I didn’t add those red weights.

Thanks.

You haven’t supplied your blend file so how do you expect anyone to know exactly how the weighting is set up for all your bones unless we track you down and break into your computer. Simpler for you to supply your blend file.

I clear the red sections, yet for some reason the strand still seems to be rigged,
You haven’t shown the weighting for ALL bones so they may affect the object

the jagged edges appear as usual and so does the red spots that pop up from inside the mesh. I’m 100% sure I didn’t add those red weights.
If something is inside your mesh, go and have a look. Check for modifiers or anything else that can affect your object

I didn’t include the blend file because I’m using the Avastar bones addon, I thought that people would need this addon installed in order to open the file properly. But I attached it, see it can be opened.
Edit: I can’t seem to upload .blend files to this forum, keeps saying “file upload failed”.
Well here is the mediafire link: https://www.mediafire.com/?a6pc89olwxvgdw9

There are a hand full of reasons that this may be happening… Richard Marklew has wisely suggested a few… it could be that you have your bones set to modify the mesh using bone envelopes and not vertex groups… it could be that you have another Armature or some other mesh modifier effecting the mesh… like a Latitice… or something…

without a file for us to tell for sure… it’s … well… hard to tell…

My reply from yesterday is still not showing up…

If you haven’t been on BA for very long you can’t post files…

please use… pasteall.org… they have a special place to post up .blend files…

it works great…

I uploaded it to mediafire, see previous post.
Here is the pasteall.org link: http://www.pasteall.org/blend/31679

Okay after looking at your file and re-reading your above post…

Your wanting to simply remove the influence of ‘mHead’ bone from the ‘strand2’ Mesh…

Easiest way to do this is select the Strand2 mesh > Tab into Edit mode > Hit ‘A’ to select all the vertcies of the Mesh > goto the Properties Panel > under object data (triangle icon) > find Vertex groups > select the vetex groups that you do not want to have influnce over that mesh (note these will be named the exact same name as the bone > and hit the “Remove” button…

note also that… as you select each vertex group the Weight slider will show you how much influnce is over the currently selected vertices… (which right now is ‘all’ of them)

also note… that if a particular vetex has any influnce on it at all from a vertex group… a 'Vetex Weights" box will show up in the Right hand tool box of the 3D window when you are tabbed into edit mode… (this box sometimes will not appear if select all the vertices… ) (very annoying)… so make an effort to select individual problem vertices… one at a time to see if there is any stray influnce from the vertex groups…

note… that this box has some ‘x’ buttons to the right of each vertex group that currently has influnce on a selected vertex… Hit those to ‘remove’ that vertex groups influnce…

finally… if you simply do not want a particular vertex group to have any influnce what so ever on a Mesh… delet that vertex group from the mesh in from inside the Object Data > Vertex groups > black down arrow button…

Finally … Finally…

if your having trouble getting to some spots on a Mesh while you are weight painting … Remember that you can always select objects and Faces and hit “H” to “hide” them… so that you can see what the heck your doing while weight painting… (“Alt+H” to bring them them back into view later…)

also select an object and move it to another layer and work on it there… then move it back when your done…