Problems when duplicating parented objects

Hey everyone, I would like to duplicate parented objects and move them, but when using python it weirdly doesn’t work.

Here I have two small cubes parented to an empty which is parented to the big cube. When I do the duplication and moving manually there is no problem (see top pic), but if I copy the command into the editor and run it, the duplication works, but the objects are misaligned. What am I doing wrong?

You can use bpy.types.ID.copy instead to duplicate your object, allowing access to manual attribute assignments to the duplicated object and its children.

import bpy

# VARIABLES
OBJ = bpy.data.objects["Main_Cube"]
TRANSFORM = [4,0,0]

# PARENT
OBJ_DUPLI = OBJ.copy()
bpy.context.collection.objects.link(OBJ_DUPLI)

# CHILDREN
for c in OBJ.children:
    CHILD_DUPLI = c.copy()
    CHILD_DUPLI.parent = OBJ_DUPLI
    bpy.context.collection.objects.link(CHILD_DUPLI)

OBJ_DUPLI.location = TRANSFORM
2 Likes

Thanks so much for your reply @RPaladin :slight_smile: Do you think it is possible to modify your solution to work when both small cubes are parented to an empty which is in turn parented to the big cube? I tried it, but the the elements are in the wrong position and it doesn’t copy the small cubes:

Sure. Simply duplicate the child duplicate process, as basically you’re hoping to duplicate the children of a child. The script can be easily tweaked to duplicate and attach more and more children if you wish as well.

Fyi I exaggerated the empty size so that it’s easier to see in the video.

import bpy

# VARIABLES
OBJ = bpy.data.objects["Main_Cube"]
TRANSFORM = [4,0,0]

# PARENT
OBJ_DUPLI = OBJ.copy()
bpy.context.collection.objects.link(OBJ_DUPLI)

# EMPTY CHILD
for c1 in OBJ.children:
    CHILD_DUPLI = c1.copy()

# CUBE CHILDREN
for c2 in c1.children:
    CHILD_DUPLI = c2.copy()

OBJ_DUPLI.location = TRANSFORM
1 Like

Amazing :slight_smile: Thanks for your help @RPaladin !