Problems with duplicate

I recently started leaning blender to make avatars. My progress got halted when I reached the hair, trying to use the empty hair curve and adding hairs results in the following error message: Invalid UV map: UV islands must not overlap. I then restarted the whole process to the same result. I select a part of the head in edit mode, shift + d, then esc and p - by selection to create a new object. I noticed when I move the dupe the original moves as well and same in reverse. Meaning the two objects are not really seperate, which I guess is the reason for the UV map error. Question is: How to solve? Unlinking simply makes the dupe vanish and make single user did nothing.

Hope anyone has a solution for this.

I don’t understand the question correctly (language problem), so I don’t know any other problem.
But please refer to the link below for the error. :slightly_smiling_face:

Do you have a mirror modifier on the object?

Yes, I am using a mirror and also a subdiv on the object.
Now that you mention it, I noticed it working before applying the mirror.
Any idea how to get around this?

Well, if you are going to have a mirrored model, you will need to unwrap and layout the UVs after applying the mirror modifier.

The mirror modifier is going to duplicate everything that already exists and that also means duplicating the UVs. If you want to have non-overlapping UVs for the whole model, you can’t count on the mirror modifier to do it for you.

Yes, there are options for offsetting the new geometry’s UVs, inside the modifier. There should be no need to apply it

1 Like