Problems with mesh's surface cello

Hi there! I bought a good cello model from Daz3D. When imported to Blender it looks great, except from some really nasty ugly inconsistencies in the f-holes. You can see it in the pictures.

I have tried a lot of stuff, like correcting the loops manually o creating new ones, appliying subdivision surface or smooth modifiers… but nothing helps.

Can somebody please let me know how to proceed to smooth the edges of these parts??

Thank you a lot in advance.

Auto-Smooth?

Thanks a lot for the quick reply! Actually (deactivating) Auto-Smooth does fix 50% of the inconsistencies

So now it’s a bit better, but still far from perfect. What else can be done?

I am also trying to use Mark-Sharp and then applying Edge-Split modifier (already selected small areas highlighted in blue when marked as sharp)

This modifier actually solves all problems, but it changes the morphology of the whole mess, even if “Sharp-Edges” is selected in the modifier, it affects all the mesh. I just don’t get it

What a mess this mesh

Additionally you can

1. reactivate autosmooth and play with the angle value
  2. check the mesh for duplicate vertices (merge by distance), interior faces, and wrongly pointed normals (select all, recalculate normals)

Reactivating autosmooth really make things worse.
Shift+N (recalculating normals), also changes a bit, but not better.

It would be perfect if Mark-Sharp would work, and then I would apply Sharp-Edges only to those ones in conflict. But it doesn’t work (even with autosmooth checked) …

Thanks a lot for your help

Looks like the model had the F holes cut out using boolean, and it was never fixed after this.

Can you show the mesh vertices.

It might also be, a 3d scan.

Actually Edge Split modifier 30º does the job!! It’s applied to the whole mesh, but since there are other inconsistencies it fixes them all.

I really don’t know what was the problem, neither what this modifier does… but it works!!

Thanks also @humanartist for taking a look… I guess many times it’s just a matter of test and error. Hurray for the f-holes!