Procedural buildings made with geometry nodes in Blender 2.93 alpha

Hi. Updating the geometry nodes more and more, blender developers showing us how cool and crazy it can be in future and how this feature is useful for artists.I looked for every update and everytime asked myself - is this thing has
potential to create procedural buildings?

13 Likes

Hey that’s a really cool way to use nodes. I have been trying to do this with kitops but haven’t been convinced that nodes would do it. What are you doing with this, game dev ect?

I’d bee interested to see how you had put this together as I am working on environments for a game.

Nice work!

Thanks! I tried to do something like this from the first release of geo.nodes. Thats not “clear” method, because every floor was added manually, and the sidewalk uses the same algorithm like building generator - i was too lazy to come up with another math. I want to try to make a scattering of my building with random count of floors and shapes.

Cool Idea! Would definetly be interested watching the continuation of this concept (;

1 Like

Hey, here is an update.

I jumped to official 2.92 release, and found another cool thing. Attribute vector math node turned out to be more powerful than i could to think. Here have more easier way to generate that gives more interesting results.

To generate perfect grid i used that group of nodes

Seems scary, but it just a copied cube, translated for each axis, grouped to “block” and repeated with a double distance. This gave me grid 32x32, 64x64 becoming too laggy.

Now i want to find how to use it with a different geometry, to make readable windows, balconies and etc.

1 Like

Combined 3 types of blocks and some simple shading
https://twitter.com/i/status/1367265327994859525

7 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Procedural buildings made with geometry nodes in Blender 2.93 alpha:

Are you planning on releasing your node setup?

Some node logic was changed by developers, and this blend file doesn’t work anymore :cry:. Now I am working on more advanced city generator, so, stay tuned.