Procedural bump map produces faceted shading

Hello,

If you take a cylinder (or any object with beveled, rounded forms), add a noise texture (with a high value scale), and then plug that texture through a bump node into the normal socket, it will produce faceting. This is at least the case with low roughness.

I’m guessing the reason being is that this sequence of things emphasizes not only the normals from the texture, but also the geometry normals.

The linked thread below is the only lengthy discussion I could find, but by the look of it, a resolution hasn’t yet been implemented. Is that truly the case, or what would a work-around be? My temporary fix is to just bake out a normal map, but that only kind of works, and it’s not ideal.

#74367 - Bump Map and Normal Map causes flat shading. - blender - Blender Projects

A couple of things…set shade auto smooth and change the angle…17 and 83 are my magic numbers that will work most time…

Add a subdivision modifier division of 2.

In the Noise…Drop Down the Detail and Increase the Roughness…

Adjust steps for other objects…
Beveled Cube viewing closer then you would ever get in a scene…

1 Like

So, as usual, “more geometry is always better” :grin:

1 Like

Yep… either in the Subdivision Modifier or in the Bevel to begin with…if I remember right I only used 3 on the Bevel… and I started with a Rounded Cube…