Procedural Human Iris generator

I’ve been working on a system for generating procedural human irises with geometry nodes.
Here I will be posting some of my WIP tests. I’m also planning on selling the generated assets and maybe the generator too

5 Likes

Here I’m trying to figure out a way how to shade more transparent types of irises (usually blue and green). In this example it looks ok:

For Brown Irises you just need the principled BSDF shader set to rough with a bit of subsurface scattering and some strong bump or displacement.

But when it comes to the transparent type of Irises you need to play with subsurface scattering, transparency, and a bit of volumes. Getting the right “natural” looking colors is also not very easy and it can start to look stylized very fast.

Another test with a colorful iris. Here I went for a more rare green type.

The shading is procedural and based on masks that are generated by the iris generator:
IRIS-01_0

1 Like

This is looking really good! The only thing that looks off is the pupil. I spent some time staring at my own eye in the mirror just now, and I would say that pupils A. don’t have a colored outline, they blend directly into the iris, and B., the outline isn’t a perfect circle. It’s really close to perfect, but there’s a tiny bit of noise around the edge.

1 Like

Good observation! I’ll tackle that :slight_smile:

I’ve adjusted the mask generator a bit to allow what you said.

You can now do the type of fade that you were talking about (I put it to a bit of an extreme here but you can tweak it smaller/larger more opaque/less opaque)

1 Like

That looks MUCH more realistic, nice work!

1 Like

I’m trying to do the shading for my own iris type but it is a bit difficult to make it look right

2 Likes

Now I have created three procedural color presets:

4 Likes

nice work, this is going well!

1 Like

I think I’m going to do a refactor of the generator because the iris structure doesn’t look good enough for transparent eyes but for that, I will need a few nodes that aren’t out yet so I will put the project on hold and wait for them to be added:

• attribute blur node
  • volume nodes
  • for loops

I’m expecting these things to be added in a year or so.

1 Like

Ya, I’ve got something like that in my fully procedural human. Though, yours is drastically better. Love it. Keep up the great work!

1 Like

Hey,
@koko_ze what happened to this project? Have you published the generator - please let me know, because it looks phenomenal

1 Like

Well, the project is on a bit of a hold at the moment. When I put it on pause Blender didn’t have some of the nodes I needed so I went to continue the project in Houdini but I didn’t finish it there either because of other priorities that came up (just finished college then). I plan on first completing it in Houdini and then trying and recreating it again in Blender. So umm don’t expect anything for a while :smiley: It is at the top of the list of my priorities though :slight_smile:

Looks great, will you be selling this anywhere?