Procedural scratches

how can i make this kind of texture proceduraly?

using noise texture i could only make it 1 directional and straight lined

2 noise textures , looks even worse with multiple stretching

I would like to be proven wrong, but I have never seen anyone manage this kind of crossed scratch texture procedurally in Blender. This might be something where image textures simply win.

The closest I have seen is short scratches that don’t overlap, like this.

it is possible , but hard indeed

I usually use an image texture of scratches, light or heavy. I find it works best, I have one Node Group that I use …It produces DEEP Scratches but can be adjusted to very shallow … and make more

Create this group…

and the Node Group connected to a material…

Another one I have used…

There is also this video…

1 Like

I agree that using an image (photo) of scratches is probably the best way to go.

A few years ago I made this attempt which I sometimes use (it is a bit heavy.)

Basically it uses a voronoi texture to map individual scratches, made from a wave texture - you could use a gradient instead.

Each voronoi cell contains one scratch that can rotate in a different direction from the others (using the colour output)

There are 2 node groups in the file, one is for an individual scratch layer and the other has 4 of those individual scratch layers piled on top of each other. changing things in the individual scratch group will affect the compound result.

By setting different values for each layer you control the direction and “crossing” of the scratches, if you set all rotations to 0 you get straight lines. I also added distortion and breakup parameters.

Edit;
The fall off and reverse fall off parameters can be used to control the thickness of the scratches (they can be a little delicate to adjust and will end up making them disappear or really thick depending on the size of the scratch layer)

It could probably be optimized a bit, I made this years ago.

With a bit more distortion and breakup.

4 Level Scratches.blend (129.8 KB)

5 Likes

thanks! il try this out