Procedural Shader Collection

Here’s an update on the steel itself…

Duplicate post… Wish I could actually delete posts…

Attachments

Have an animation of the shader :slight_smile:

All of this is very impressive! just wow

Amazing work !

Joey Blendhead - You’re very welcome :). That steel is looking very nice.

@Shenfara Thank you so much :smiley:
@Doisy Didier Thanks! I really appreciate that :smiley:
@ArtOfLight Thanks man! :smiley:

I really appreciate the comments guys :smiley: I was getting concerned when I was just talking to myself in here… It was getting to be too much like real life.

your tutorial would be very valuable if you consider to make one for procedural shadering.

@Naseem Shanbour Well, I made this if it helps…

Okay, so for the shader pack, we’re looking to add another shader to the list, and we had one planned, but wasn’t really sure if it’d be useful, so we decided to let the community decide. Here’s a list of the shaders we’re already putting into it, but we need one more with the general theme of arch viz.
We’ll probably just do whatever shader is recommended most, unless it doesn’t fit the theme, so what do you think?

(Shaders so far: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5wZlz)

A type of glass I guess. Great job guys ^^

Well, at this point, it’s down to Glass or Plastic.

If Plastic is chosen it would contain options for:
#1. SSS
#2. Scratches and Wear
#3. Fingerprints/Smudges
#4. Glossiness
#5. 3D Print?

If Glass is chosen, it would contain options for:
#1. Faked Caustics
#2. Roughness
#3. Paint (with chips)
#4. Grunge
#5. Potentially cracks?

Also, thank you so much :smiley:

I merged the two, which is fine and dandy, but… Then it broke.

When I connect the mix shader to the Height input of the Bump Map, the render preview goes black (and when plugged into the Principled BSDF, it also goes black), but if I unplug the Fac and Color 1 (they’re the same input) it’s fine, or if I unplug the Color 2, then it’s fine… But the two won’t show together.
Nothing seems to be wrong with any of the nodes by themselves… The bump is working fine,

and the mix shader by itself is working fine, but when combined, they just black out. I tried playing with clamping on the nodes, but that didn’t help. I also restarted Blender a couple times, and redid this section of the shader multiple times… I could try it on another Blender version/install, but I feel like if this is a bug, it may only cause complications for others if I don’t find a solution. Anyone know how to fix it?

Apparently only three images per post… Here’s the result of the mix shader…

I didn’t know if this would help any in your case, but I’ve had stuff like that happen with large grouped networks when I had multiple Group Input nodes inside of a group for organization purposes. Not to be confused with inputs going into the group, but the actual node Group Input. It would just kind of randomly stop working all of a sudden and go black. I imagine it has something to do with a bug in how the shader compiles.

If I remember right, and strangely, if I would select one of the group inputs when exiting the group, it would all work fine all of a sudden.

As far as glass or plastic goes, I really have no idea which one I would vote for. Plastic is used pretty much everywhere in a house, so would be quite useful, but on the other hand, glass would be seen the most and have the most visual impact, although it’s probably easier for someone to do themselves and get a fairly good result. So, sorry it’s not a very definitive answer, but maybe it helps a little :). Some kind of stucco or plaster shader might be another option of something to make.

Hopefully you’re able to get it working again!

@ArtOfLight Hey, thanks for the reply! Interesting theory, but this isn’t a node group yet…

Also, your input is helpful on the Glass versus Plastic :smiley: I think we’re going to do Glass, since I can give it adjustable caustics and such, and make it a bit more complex than it outta be… Haha :stuck_out_tongue: Might be both though.

Ah well, thought it was worth a try at least :). I wasn’t sure if you might have had node groups in the rest of your network.

Yeah, it’s always fun adding all that detail to things :smiley:

@ArtOfLight Yeah, thanks for the input man :smiley: I prefer to use frames, and group the final setup (I find the other groups make it confusing)… But I’ll watch out for that error in the future, since as much as I work with nodes, it’s likely to come up.

And details always make the render.

Well, I guess this shader pack is a bit of a marathon, not a race. And in this marathon, it appears Blender decided to cut his run short, because the bug spoke of above, is a limitation of Blender, and not at all a bug in fact. I am getting the warning “Cycles: out of SMV stack space, shader “Steel” is too big”. So I guess I need to tone it down a bit. Not sure how exactly, as I’ll need to cut out nearly half the nodes for this to work, but, I guess I’ll just have to figure it out. Anyways, I hope this limitation is removed in Blender 2.80, as we;ll be working on another shader pack, with which I am sure we’re going to need more nodes.

What a thing to run out of space with though… A steel shader. A shader which is half done with a single glossy node (okay, not really, but you get my point…)