Procedural wood knots

I’m trying to create a procedural wood material but couldn’t get the knots.
What I got so far:

If anyone knows how to do that I’ll appreciate an explanation.
Thanks!

3 Likes

@something This is a really nice material study. Has knots:

2 Likes

I didn’t check the video, but I might have seen it before. One thing most get wrong is always adding rather than adding some and subtracting the rest. Always adding leads to grain being distorted to the same direction.

In the red nodes below I’m taking the hue output of the voronoi that drives the distortions, subtracting 0.5, and using the sign to determine adding or subtracting to take place:

This is from a seamless wood texture generator though, not a 3D wooden texture, but I guess you can work out how to make it work.

Edit: Attached a compressed file for 3.5 alpha. Maybe the seamless stuff is useful for some.
SeamlessWoodGenerator_Simplified.blend (169.0 KB)
(Helps to attach the right file) :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks!
do you know how to apply that to 3D?
(I’ve edited that reply way too much :joy:)
The distortion of the wave texture is either too much for the rings or too little for the wood grain.
Do you know how to distort the Z-axis and the XY-axis independently?

Other than the lack of knots, that is a very nice woodgrain generator.

1 Like

I’m considering using screen on 2.3 or subtract on 0.5 in the mix node before the wave texture.
(they work with object coordinate and are very similar to difference on 0.5)
Which is better?

Which is better is whoever one looks better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are looks alone the point of a good procedural texture? Isn’t the processing needed also a consideration?

1 Like

True, but in terms of mixing modes, there’s little to no difference in processing between any two given mixing nodes. You’re not going to see performance hits until you start chaining multiple nodes together - mixing modes are very simple math, done in lightning-fast C code

1 Like

How are you applying the top/side patterns? I’m assuming the base is some tri-planar projection with the top pattern stretching down the sides, with some noise and grain and deformations added on top?

Just a wave texture