Programming Problems

Does anyone know how to write a programme to read the point cloud, display the point, remove the irrevelant data points and most importantly, how to fit a surface to the resultant point cloud ?

How can I connect the point clouds into a set of triangles?
Any Hints or Code can be posted ?

THX!!!

this problem is nontrivial enough that people are STILL writing papers about this

umm, what is your point cloud from, and why do you have interior points?

The point cloud is measured by a coordinate measuring machine (CMM), the file output by this machines is in the .dxf format.

like this…
VERTEX
VERTEX

I have to write a programe to read & display the point cloud by OpenGL, remove the irrevelant points and fit a surface to the resultant point cloud.

This is a link demonstrating some applications of convex hull algorithms, but I’m not sure if it leads to any example code. However, I think it’s interesting, and gives a good idea of what you’re up against.

There are some good links at this Wikipedia entry on convex hulls that you may find useful.

If you do a web search for convex hull algorithms, you should find quite a bit of information on convex hull theory and practical examples that should get you going.