prosesor sockets

i curently have an AMD Turion x2 proses or in my pc, since it is an AM2 socket i was wondering if its possible to swap it out for an Athelon AM2 Socket… is this possible?

If your motherboard supports it. Check with the manufacturer’s website.

Alex

why you want to do that?

well i got a 2.0 ghz 2x turion… from what i understand (no i didnt pop the box yet) is that there are two saperate physical prosesors on the board that are 1ghz each??? well if that is so id rather buy 2athelons at like 2.6 each and switch them up to give my computer a HUGE speed boost

gues no 1 can help me out on this 1 lol

Vitaliy, I would definately not conduct MAJOR surgery like this without consulting the manual. (As stated before) See if your motherboard is compatible with the processors you’re trying to install because if not, the voltage differences could cause your motherboard to fry like a french potato.

The AMD Turion x2 is one dual core cpu, not two separate cpu’s. If your motherboard can handle the Turion x2, then chances are good that it will handle the Athlon dual core cpu too. You may need a bios update - check their website.
Just don’t replace your dual core Turion with a standard (single core) Athlon - that won’t be an upgrade.

i dunno why but cpu-z shows it as two separate standalone CPUs not just 2 cores on one prosesor… if the sockets are the same shouldnt that mean that they are all comptetible with each other… for example i know that on intel boards a 775 is comptible with intel core 2 extreme, pentium 4 prescot and intel core 2 duo… all with the same power consumption

@_@;;

my thoughts are that if you have to ask these questions, then you are probably not ready to do whatever it is that you are talking about.

Because if you make a bad move messing around with processors and motherboards you can fry your entire board VERY fast - and watch as your warranty points its finger while laughing hysterically at you

i never dealt with amd processors before so therefore im asking this, i do know my way around intels

It’s seen as two seperate processors because essentially that’s what they are. It’s two processors sharing one data bus. Also, at the software level, that’s how they’re used.

i dunno why but cpu-z shows it as two separate standalone CPUs not just 2 cores on one prosesor.

It isn’t two separate processors. It should say 2 cores though.

MM is quite right though, if you are asking:

well i got a 2.0 ghz 2x turion… from what i understand (no i didnt pop the box yet) is that there are two saperate physical prosesors on the board that are 1ghz each???

You shouldn’t be swapping them round really. Anyway, it means you have 1 die with 2 cores each running at 2GHz. The clock speed is not the only measure of speed either. Check tomshardware for comparison charts.

Check tomshardware for comparison charts.

whats that?? or where is that?

Why don’t you just open the box and look how many cpus you have :confused: It couldn’t be simpler.
Then, if you do want to upgrade, simply check on your mobo manufacturer’s site at your mobo’s specs. While you are there, you ay as well get the latest bios update.
Here’s Tom’s Hardware page.