protecting Wireless internet

Hi & it seems that one of my neighbours < which is a f***ing criminal teenager > , is trying to hack my wireless internet , i have disabled the wireless internet because of him and working on normal internet , is there any <gaurunteed> software that protects my PC , i have made a password for the wifi , but i don’t want him to benfit from me :mad: , f*** him , if he succeded in getting internet then he may become ambitious and see my HDDs :mad: …

any suggestions .

The best thing you can do is use WPA2 security on your router. WPA2 is best at this point in time because it can not be cracked. You can also use a wireless MAC filter and add exceptions for the devices that you want to allow.

If you can tell me what brand/model of router you have, I can give you step by step instructions if you need them.

TP-Link
TL-WR641G

Just use WPA2 security and don’t be paranoid.
Encryption is not like in cinema where a cracker breaks it in 5 minutes. If it was like that, it wouldn’t be used anywhere.

If you used to leave you network open, I don’t think you can say he was trying to hack in it. He was just trying to access a open network.
Now, after putting a password, if you didn’t choose a very lame password that he can guess, go to sleep without worry.
IF, IF he can break the encryption, than there is no software you can install that will protect you. But he will also be also to access other much more interesting things than your computer.

Use WPA2+PSK and don’t set the router to use a combined method like WPA/WPA2+PSK , because this enables the attacker to authenticate via WPA+PSK only.
You can enable MAC address filtering but it’s not a real hurdle for an experienced attacker. However, enable it anyway.
Edit: And make sure your firmware is up to date.

Mac address filtering will not stop a dedicated attacker – they’ll just sniff the network’s clients and clone an authorized address.

If you really want to shut out the rabble, get a Linux-capable router (WRT54GL is the old standby, but there are many other options), install OpenWRT, set it up as an OpenVPN2 server, install OpenVPN2 clients on your machines, and then only allow WAN access through the vpn. :stuck_out_tongue: That plus WPA2+PSK should be pretty much bulletproof against any attacker you’re likely to encounter in a home environment (unless your home is next to Ft. Meade or something). As an added bonus, if you set up a dynamic DNS for your router, then you can log into your VPN from other places when you travel (coffee shop APs, etc) and encrypt your traffic from snoopers.

Here is the page with the latest firmware for your router: http://www.tp-link.com/support/download.asp?a=1&m=TL-WR641G

BE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT YOU CHOOSE THE CORRECT HARDWARE VERSION! If you choose the wrong one, you could end up with a useless router (“bricked”). The hardware version should be located on the bottom of the router, probably close to the model number. It should be V1, V2, V3, or V4.

After doing the firmware update, here is the page with user guides: http://www.tp-link.com/support/download.asp?a=1&m=TL-WR641G

Honeypot -> set it up, then make them suffer.

If you have an old PC, use it to run a linux firewall/gateway router. This way, you can aggregate all network traffic in a “smart” environment, and use some proper tools to isolate the intruder.

Oh, also, if your access point supports MAC address filtering, make use of it. Sure, there are ways to spoof that too, but it’s an an additional layer that can discourage many.

If all else fails, go back to the good old ethernet cable; it’s faster, more secure, and forces you to set “daily computer time”, so you don’t spend every waking moment on-line. :wink:

As another additional layer of security, you could also change the name of your network to something crazy, and then set it as a hidden network.

I’m not sure how easy it is to break this (when you talk about breaking stuff, its usually just a matter of time and resources – not possibility), but its just another hoop he has to jump through.