Proximity effect using an empty controller

I would like to use an empty to control the “Proximity Effect” like it is in this tutorial
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzsLYqkeoww ) However I am using version 3.3 and the labeling is different and so I get lost along the way. I have managed to make some head way on a blender file and can upload if need be.

Thanks in advance

for instancing

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time. This looks on-point. I will try it out after my work day. Again, thank you!!!

1 Like

So I am trying out your process and I am stuck “instances on face”. The “Instance on Points” is arranged different than mine. I am also unsure how to attach the rest of the nodes due to the image cut off. Overall I am understanding what you are doing , its just some nodes do not look like you have them.

Attached is my progress at “Instance on Face”

Oh sry İ didn’t save the file. Yours is “instance to points” search for “instance on points”. They are different.

Attach your geometry input to capture attribute socket, and instance on points goes to output.

Rest is proximity falloff part, socket from colorramp connects to multiply math node. That is it. Do the same with random distirbution.

capture attribute: choose “vector” and “face”, you are capturing normals of faces. And in “mesh to points” choose “faces” , you are putting a point on each face.

I feel like I plugged in everything based on your screen shots. Maybe I’m missing a crucial connection or two. Please let me know and thank you for your time thus far. I truly appreciate it. Let me know if you need access to my blender file.

hey yes that is the set up, but they are alternative to each other you connected all of them to the output :slight_smile: you can connect only one geometry to the output, if you want more you use join geometry.

“set position” is for manipulating geometry, “extrude Mesh” is alternative way and other 2 is instancing examples, ofcourse you can use them together that is what “join geometry is for”.

1 Like

more simple example

1 Like

Thank again!

1 Like