(I am not sure if that topic is correct for that section)
I am working at IBM in Cell/B.E. systems development. Last summer semester I hosted a diploma thesis with the goal to create a Playstation 3 based external renderer for Blender. There was not much time for much code development but the result is existing.
The render setup is :
- modified Blender (copied the yafray plugin / panel way to trigger the render)
- on button press - export happens through modified wavefront script
- file transfer to PS3
- new written renderer on PS3 linux takes .obj and displays it
- on PS3 you can rotate object by mouse, framerate is typically between 5fps and 20fps depending on objects
- on new render the PS3 image gets updated
- renderer currently only does several light based shadings but not reflection, refraction, texture…
- optionally the renderer sends the image back to Blender - there it gets displayed in the render windowI have no movie yet but just a setup-shot:
I would like to proceed that work. For that I am looking for a student who comes to Boeblingen/Germany for an internship. One of the first things to do is clearly get the current package on the web (IBM Alphaworks) so that the Blender community can try it out and give feedback. Next steps will be to add additional shaders and improve the handling of the raytracer.
If you are interested we can discuss here or just apply at http://www-05.ibm.com/employment/de/studenten/jobs/jo14083.html
Its a German website but the description is in English…