Pumpkin Carving

The main purpose of this project was to explore new and different workflows and techniques, and to make something for Halloween.

The pumpkin and planks were sculpted, and the rest were modelled in Blender.
Every texture (except for the candle flame) are made using Substance Painter.

This was also the first time I’ve ever used Substance Painter. It’s actually fairly easy to use, but I expect it to be more confusing the more complex the material is.

One of the things I learned the hard way is that the paint strokes in Substance are apparently projected in 3D space instead of the UV, and I moved the pumpkin in Blender so if I changed something to the model, I cant reimport it back to Substance :sweat_smile:. Maybe there’s a workaround for this, I haven’t looked too deep into it.

The animation on the pumpkin was made using a mesh deform modifier. The animation on the candle flames are made with the displace modifier.

I used the hair curve in blender to make the fabric fuzzier.

Workbench render

Clay render

Wireframe (No retopology because I’m lazy)

Also, for some reason optix denoiser just stopped working in this specific project, works on other projects and OIDN also works just fine though.

31 Likes

Wow! Excellent work and so atmospheric!:heart_eyes::fire:

1 Like

I love it, awesome work. Texture on teeth really striked me as very good

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Thank you for the feature!

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you for the feature!

1 Like

:thinking: …i have somehow overlooked this… maybe because haloween is not “that big” where i live… and i do not get so “hyped” about this…

…and also several time when i do have sweats… there are no children at the door… but when i did have none… oh my oh my :wink:
1 Like