The continuation of the composition challenge on the first post, now the 2018 edition. I mostly do full body drawings and some with complete background as I wanted to push a bit further, compared to the 2017 challenge that I did more ‘leisurely’ (a.k.a some were mainly made just to fulfill the required theme). This also turned out to be pretty much time consuming and exhausting, which I think affected some latter drawings. Complete entries can be seen on this folder. Using Inkscape mainly, sometimes finishing with GIMP, and there are some secondary elements that were made with Blender.
Theme: arabesque. There is a more detailed meaning to the theme but the one used here is more simplified as sweeping s-shaped line of action. The ‘S’ pattern here is formed along starting from the wing, to the scepter/weapon, then down to the shawl. Was about to use a spear but resorted to a shorter scepter-like object instead so as not to disrupt the flow too much. The red pearl ornaments on the outfit and weapon serve as guide points. Took most of the time detailing the patterns. It was fun though. Also, this is perhaps the most portrait-orientation-ish image I’ve ever made. Note that I added a white side borders here as the preview looks very much cropped.
Theme: contrast. I used difference of dark and light values, along with complimentary colors (blue and red for the swords) to represent contrast. Also playing with contradiction between monochrome (the character skin tones) and colors (the swords). This was also meant as a counterpart with the previous entry/image above it (arabesque theme).
Theme: pyramid. The objective is to lead the view flow in a triangular path. Using the swords mainly to guide the view. There’s a little story involving a riddle, you can read it on my DA page. The correct answer is to ask for the blue pearl on her necklace, not either of the blades. First hint: her pose is a clue to this (intersection of the straight lines from the swords is on the pearl). Second hint: never did she state “choose one blade”, she only said “choose wisely”. Third hint: “… a world of peace” is another clue (world = planet = sphere). By the way, the weapons here are the same as the one used in the previous/above entry (contrast theme), hinting a connection somehow… dun dun dun
Theme: environmental frame. Using curved/spiraled water column that enclosed a Siren Queen that celebrates the breaking of her seals by singing you a lovely lullaby … I wanted to do a full circling water effect at first, but I noticed then that the shading would be difficult. The sea water effect is made with Blender using ocean modifier, it helps a lot. Still not too satisfied with the blue tone here though, especially the sea. Spent some time in searching font types that can represent rune inscription that is not Symbol font type (used ‘Symeteo’ font in the end). The export process to image files was surprisingly taking so damn long, had to decrease the resolution in the end.
Theme: radiant. The concept here is long hairs with planets on its tip, much like puppets on strings. Ended up not as much as what I imagined the first time though. The grey planets are dying that brought back to life by the goddess character, turn them into the colorful ones.
Theme: dynamic symmetry. The task is to use this guide lines. This theme is kinda difficult to complete, in terms of using some of the grid lines to compose a scene or character. Finally got an idea with a double ponytailed character with a scythe-like weapon surrounded by asteroids (that made in Blender). Note that this is the same character with the previous ‘radiant’ theme entry, but in her bad-girl version. Maybe a sequel to that, or even a prequel.
Theme: redraw. It’s that ‘take-a-look-at-your-crappy-old-drawing-then-cringe-a-lot-and-try-to-right-all-the-wrongs’ theme this time. I made a redraw of a character that I did long ago. It has some serious problems, to name a few: body proportion is off, expression/emotion doesn’t show up clearly, and there’s no shading at all. I remembered that I was quite proud of that one though, especially the wings. Mended those ‘mistakes’ now, added background too and more effects. Had lotsa trials about that last one, actually still somewhat unsatisfied, but gotta wrap it up already.
Anyway, the 2018 edition challenge has been completed! The newest one for 2019 has begun already, I’d try to take part again, but I want to take it easier this time.
Hope you enjoy!