Purrfect Being

Meet Luna. She’s my very first candidate to test out Blender’s hair system on. This is my first attempt on creating fur in Blender. There’s always room for improvement but I think this is quite good enough as a first try.

The base mesh is actually a Zeus Cat model for Daz Studio. Exporting hair from Daz is something that’s not possible yet without having your Blender crashed because Daz actually turns hair into mesh when exporting. That means a lot of polys for the hair. I’ve tried exporting splines from Daz and converting them into hair with Geo Nodes. It works but when you rig the cat in Blender, the hair can’t be rigged. So had to do all the hair in Blender. Oh yeah and I also rigged the cat with IK rig so that I could pose anyway I like in the future.

This is a little comparison on how it looks like with and without fur.

This is the Clay render. I used Treasure Islands Pack from Kitbash to layout a quick environment for this piece.

This is before and after I post processed in Photoshop.

I’m actually looking forward to doing a full tutorial on how I did the hair for the cat. Maybe when I finally launch my Patreon. Might also do one on how to rig the cat.

Since this was a quick render to showcase the cat, I didn’t really bother with adding Easter Eggs here. Sorry!

My socials: https://lynkfire.com/louixlin

Thanks for reading.

30 Likes

hey a question, you actually used the new hair with an armature rig? and it does follow the mesh and not behave strangely perhaps?

1 Like

I should’ve specified I’m still using the Particle System Hair and not the curves. The curves don’t work well with rigging. I actually lost my hair trying to figure that one out.

1 Like

actually you can convert hair from curves to particles, there is a little option in the top bar menus…

that actually got my blender to crash several times. :rofl:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Hey, You have a fantastic render!
How did you make that fur, or what tutorials you used?