Python programming: functional or object oriented?

Hi

I try to understand this object oriented (OO) programming and try see possible benefits of it.

So far I have been using a functional programming(?) for specific mathematical functions for repeated tasks on my FDM4BGE project.

So, is there any clear performance advantages with the OO versus the functional programming?

Thanks

Well, first, we should define “functional programming”:

It stands to reason that there would be certain penalties for holding really close to the functional paradigm, because avoidance of state and mutable structures implies a lot of object re-creation.

However, you should not worry yourself with performance until it actually becomes a problem.

The functional paradigm has design advantages for which many (including myself) would happily trade CPU cycles.

About OOP in general: The key is to create objects which represent well defined roles in your “high-level” vision of the system. Also, these objects should be fairly independent of each-other (you can change one without having to make significant changes to the other), therefore preserving some semblance of modularity, and, more importantly -> sanity (in the long term).

In short, it’s an organizational methodology, in which poor performance still depends on the details of implementation, rather than some intrinsic quality of the general approach.

Hi

Thanks Social, for your input.

I was wondering if I should re-write the fdm4bge with OO for performance shake.

I will continue on selected path :slight_smile:

Becide Socials statement keep in mind Python is OO already. It is up to you how to use it.

Object Oriented Programming serves Data Modeling purposes better, you can wrap common properties and actions of an “Entity” and make it a class. Then this piece of code will be better maintainable and reusable.