Python Script Error in Blender: Mesh Deformation Issue

I’m encountering a perplexing issue with a Python script in Blender that’s supposed to deform a mesh based on certain parameters. However, when I execute the script, the mesh deformation doesn’t seem to occur as expected, leading to distortions and inaccuracies.

Here’s a simplified version of the script:

import bpy

def deform_mesh(obj, strength):
    # Iterate through vertices and deform them
    for v in obj.data.vertices:
        v.co.z += strength

# Select the object to deform
obj = bpy.context.active_object

# Set deformation strength
deform_strength = 0.1

# Call deformation function
deform_mesh(obj, deform_strength)

The intention of this script is to elevate each vertex of the selected object (obj) along the z-axis by a certain strength (deform_strength). However, when I run the script, the mesh doesn’t deform correctly, and instead, it seems like some vertices are being skipped or not deformed accurately.

I’ve tried adjusting the parameters and even tested the script on different objects, but the issue persists. I suspect there might be something wrong with the way I’m accessing and modifying the vertex coordinates, but I can’t seem to pinpoint the exact problem.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue before, or can anyone offer insights into what might be causing this unexpected behavior? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

No theres no problem here, if you run it in object mode it should work just fine.

Thanks for your response! Running the script in object mode did indeed resolve the issue. It seems I overlooked the mode in which the script should be executed. Your help is greatly appreciated!

1 Like