Quake Arena Live

Once I got through the queue (luckily for me, I started at ~3pm not expecting to do more than glance at the site) it wasn’t too bad. The player matching is pretty awesome, but the granularity is pretty bad. I played a series of matches where the same three guys were annihilating the rest of us. Could have been due to the “suspension” of stat-logging they needed to cope with the initial “training round” load on their database servers.

Anyhow, the game itself is simply Quake 3; a fast, well balanced, first-person shooter with some tweaks to make it easier on the complete newbies. What is interesting is the concept of embedding games into the community web-sites as “just another element” of the page. I can see this becoming taking a larger share of the online gaming market if/when someone comes up with a decent “base engine” onto which content providers build their own games.

Blender Live, anyone?

We tried that :smiley: weirdest experience - ever, next to alien abductions of Sago at the funny-farm, it’s called Verse (uniVerse).

Test servers where up, people from all over the blue planet called Earth where
connecting real-time - and modeling real-time, you could see weird things pop up,
stuff froze, stuff vanished, and stuff appeared. Kind of fun, but also kind of trippy! :spin:

A good idea that somewhat melted in the process…if you like.

sob I always wanted to test it but never realized there were test servers - until it was too late. :frowning:

Blender GE used to have a Web Plug-in - kinda like Adobe Flash Player,
but it doesn’t have anybody maintaining it any longer. :frowning:

The fact that they toned down some of the weapons gives it a bit of an ‘popgun’ feel and I’m not sure the skill level suggestion thing works very well, since every game that it has suggested for me to be best choice has either been me dominating completely or being completely dominated with no middle ground(this is even more apparent in Duels).
It’s fun if you happen to get into a relatively even game, but most of the time that’s sadly not true. I guess this will get somewhat fixed once ranking works again and the system has a chance to re-evaluate player skill levels(I slaughtered the simple minded bot, but only because it was so damn stupid and now I’m paying for it).

All in all worth checking out once they’ll get the chance to update the backbone and get it properly running. As a part time Linux user I’m also hoping that they’ll manage to make a Linux version for the plug-in at some point.

Stupid. First I was on the queue list for one hour. Then it had me install the game and restart the browser that put me back in the mtfka queue again. What’s up with that crap.

It’s pretty fun. I’ve played it a few times over the last day. Last night at around 11:00 pm, there were only 500 in the que so it went by really fast. I am also beta testing Battlefield Heroes. I like the type of combat and gameplay of that franchise over the Quake style, though. Both are fun but in different ways.

JoOngle,

I remember reading about. Was there a player involved?

I ask because I am currently working on a project were we create a 3D floor plan of an sculptural exhibition. Besides mapping out the art pieces and explore light setup inside Blender we would like
to have an interactive experience as well.

Well I could save it as a run time for windows but is / was there something for the web?