Question about ethernet and appletalk

At work, I access a network server via both ethernet (Appletalk) and Fibrejet. Now, Fibrejet is still in its infancy, so I hardly expect someone has come up with a way for Blender to work over this network, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience running Blender from a network server?

Firstly: when I open Blender on my desktop (in Mac Os X) it will recognize only the local drives and folders, and not any network connected drives. Saving work, and rendering to these network drives is, therefore, impossible.

Secondly: I tried to install blender on the network drive, thinking it might recognize it locally, and run the program over the network from my desktop. This only caused errors: Blender opened, but it froze on a big, grey screen.

Any suggestions as to how I can save work, render to, and get files across a Mac ethernetwork?

so osx, even though unix based doesn’t mount network shares as locations in the file system?!?!?!

that sure seems weird [and inaccurate]

[you I’d imagine would have the same problem in windows]

[you I’d imagine would have the same problem in windows]
Fraid so. At least in XP professional, which is what we use at work.

I suspect it has got to do with how Blender writes it’s .b or b.blend file. It once did this on the server I tried to save something to by running Blender directly from that. I cannot remove that file, now. :frowning:

hm, sure you checked that, but just in case you didn’t: in osx the mounted volumes are found under /Volumes/… .

i had no problems opening files over the network so far. neither under windows, nor under osx. though, setting up a mixed win/mac network was somehow tricky, so i got rid of the windows machines :slight_smile:

hm, sure you checked that, but just in case you didn’t: in osx the mounted volumes are found under /Volumes/… .

This sounds right… will check when I get into work today. Thanks! fmi: are you working over ethernet? Do you connect to a server via appletalk? Would other network conections such as fibrejet also show up?