Question.... Can't find Principled hair BSDF

Hi fellow blender users!

This is my first post so go easy on me, but I have a question about Blender 2.8. I’m still trying to adjust to the tweaked interface and new features, so I might just be stupid, but I remember seeing a shader called “Principled Hair BSDF” at some point, and it is no longer there when I try to add a shader in the node editor. I have tried changing the engine (I think that’s what it was called, I’m a noob sorry) from eevee to cycles, but that does not seem to have worked. I don’t remember what my settings were at the time that I did see the principled hair BSDF, so I don’t have any idea how to get it back. Does anybody have any idea what I might be doing wrong? If you need more details I’ll be happy to provide what I can, and I will be immensely grateful to anyone who can help me.

Thanks!

It’s still there, but your renderer must be set to Cycles. It won’t show up as a Shader with either Eevee or Workbench selected.

How did you change to Cycles before where it didn’t work?

2 Likes

I just went to my shader editor and added the Principled Hair BSDF to my node tree. It was located with the Principled and Principled Volume shaders. But I’m using 2.81. Check carefully again in the shaders category with Shift-A.

I don’t believe it has been removed for work for any versions recently.:wink:

I changed the renderer on the material output node in the node editor. I couldn’t find an other way to change it, so I just assumed that that was how you changed it.

So, all is well with the world?:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I didn’t change any of the world settings other than color.

You’ll want to change it here - not on the material output node:

Changing it on the material output node just selects which output would be used, if you had the matching renderer set.

Ohhhh ok! I didn’t think to look there. Thank you!

Thank you :smile: :smile:

Thank you!!!