Question for a model

I’ve been asked to create a knight animation for friend, of the knight laughing or swinging a sword. I’ve only been doing blender for a few months and have yet to do a character model. Anyone have ideas on how I should approach this? I’ve been thinking just using Sub-Surf on cubes but that would be hard to animate right?

try to find some good tutorials on maya for character modelling in the net.there is a good one on lightwave in 3drender.com.you can also ty some books like ‘mastering maya3’ etc.the ideas can be used greatly in blender.

I made a suit of armor last year (never put a knight into it though). I just used subsurfs and extruded and copied from helmet and down.
If you’ve got a good curving on one plate, copy the edge to start the next with so you don’t have to start each one from scratch.
I also used a manequin model I downloaded to make it around, just to get the proportions right (that and a lot of comments from the community ;))
And remember to make it animatable while you model it, so you don’t get a finished model that looks strange when you try to make it bend. (Who was it that used the term “Collapsing ass syndrome?”)

Hope I’m making sense :wink:

Good luck
8) pofo

(My suit of armor can be seen in my gallery by the way)

that’s an amazing suit of armor! is it all made with just basic objects like cubes? Where can I find a manequin model?

I don’t really know what you mean when you ask if it’s all made of basic shapes. I usually don’t add more than one or a few basic shapes per scene, then I extrude and copy parts of them.
I think I got the manequin from blendermania, that site is gone. I’m sure there must be others around though.
If you can’t find one just add a background image to help with proportions. (I think you press shift F7 to do that)

1. pofo