Question regarding indirect lighting

Goodday everyone,

I have a question I cannot seem to find the answer to…
I dont have an immediate example to show, but I hope I can explain myself well enough to be clear.

For compositing purposes I would like to render the light emitted from certain lights and/or emissive materials as seperate layers. For example, a light is shining on a sphere. I want to be able to only render the light that is being reflected onto the sphere by the light, but not the sphere itself.

Is this something doable in Blender, and if so, what would be the most efficient approach to rendering this ?

I’d love to hear from you.

With kind regards,

Brian de Groot

I don’t know exactly what you mean cause seeing an object is seeing the light reflected by its surface.

How do you want to see that particular light? Maybe it would help if you explained the effect you want to achieve, instead.

Yeah, I’m sorry if I’m a bit confusing haha
So basically imagine this.
Imagine a sphere that is only lit on 1 half right? And the other half is shadow. If I were to render that specific light that is casting the light onto the sphere, I would like to export only the part of the sphere that is actually hit by the light rays, whereas I want the part that is in the shadow to be completely cutout of the render, leaving me initially with a render of a light, and all the areas that that light is hitting, but nothing else. I hope this explanation makes a bit more sense… :sweat_smile:

Basically I want every part of everything in my scene that is not hit by the rays of that specific light im rendering to be excluded from the render. Leaving only the areas of objects hit by the light visible

But that would be your direct light pass and not the indirect one. Can’t you do what you want in the compositor using the direct light pass?

I am not sure if that’s what you mean, but maybe the “light groups” feature could help? It allows each light source to have its contribution to the scene be rendered separately from each other, so you can change each light source’s color and strength during compositing.

1 Like

Information related to VFX using compositioning would be helpful. :thinking:

1 Like

Exact! Thank you!

1 Like