Questions about hair...

So… I decided to give my character hairs.

I found this tutorial on line :
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/PartXIII/Particle_Hair

And I find it quite useful. But he is very shady about lots of things…
I can’t change the color of my particle. Do I need to select them? It doesn’t seems possible… I applied a new index and a new material, but it doesn’t seems to change much…

Next problem is to “comb” the hair.
From the tutorial it seems easy. Just put a curve guide, assign it as a guide in the field dropdown menu and voilà ! There goes nothing…

Particles don’t follow anything. I still have a big fuzzball on screen…

:-? either I didn’t follow the tutorial well, either there are still some “mysterious” operation I am unaware of…

Thanks for reading.

If you want hair to follow curve guides exactly, turn off Normal velocity in Particle Motion. You should also set Keys to 4 or higher. While you are practicing with curve guides, at first it’s best to turn MaxDist off, and snap the first control point of the curve to the center of the particle emitter object.

Edit: If you are still having problems, try selecting all points of the curve in Edit mode and do W-key-> Switch Direction.

You have to set Ref fairly low, and be carefull with spec. If fig. 6 you see that the texture does only affect alpha, so spec is high from beginning to the tip of the hair. Best method will probably be to use a second texture wich lowers spec towards the tips.

It’s damn difficult to get the hair in shape. There have been several threads about long hair in this forum. If the curve does not affect the hair at all, it probably is on a different layer.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/402/image11fg.th.png

Thanks for the answers. It was a mix of the two suggestions.
CD38 for the tips on normal velocity
soylent_gr for the tips on layer :expressionless:

:smiley: On the image, the first time I made the particle follow something :slight_smile:

Now, I have to work on texture…