Questions about masking/overlaying objects.

Basically, I need help on masking textures and overlaying objects. I really can’t go into detail, but I’ve provided an example below (FAKED) that shows what I want to do.
…Oh, the first example is for textures, not objects.
I have to update this later…

Attachments

I’m not entirely sure about what you want. Anyways, you may check this site about objects

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Booleans

And this site about texture masks (termed stencil in Blender)

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Map_To

Is that what you want??

Stencils are EXACTLY what I needed. I don’t need bootlean, though.
Also, I realize that this thread is more modeling than texture, I think it should be moved.
What I’m trying to do for one model (just eyes textures) is make it so the pupil will not appear on the face and will disappear from the edge of the eye. The Stencil feature is exactly what I need.
The other thing I need (Which was harder to explain) is to “force” the obj in front of a certain obj. Say the “eyes” are behind the “Hair.” The eyes would still show in front of the hair. I hope this explains it better.

Edit: Wait, are stencils only available for 2-D textures? I’m talking about stenciling a 2D texture in 3D space. Like 2 textures over top each other in a 3D model and the top texture will only show if it’s under any of the bottom texture.

If you mean procedural textures with “3D textures”, then yes, the stencils also work for that. Real 3D textures (i.e. volumetric textures) are not yet implemented in Blender, although a guy from Cuba is working on that. About your other question, I wouldn’t know how to do that, but that doesn’t mean Blender can’t do it :smiley:

Well, I think I’ve found a simpler way to do it, but I still need help.
…Would I be able to use an armature to control a texture? Like, a pupil texture that would be stenciled from an eye, and I could parent the armature to the eye’s pupil texture so it would move the texture and be stenciled to the eye so the texture wouldn’t show outside the eye. I’ve provided another example that hopefully will explain what I want. The model below are meshes, but the idea is to use them as textures.

Attachments

I think you could use aramatures, but I think it’s much easier to use emptys to control the movement of your textures. As an example, see the attached blend file. It contains a sphere with an image texture with a black dot (pupil). The Map Input is controlled by an Empty (the Object button is selected and the name of the object is entered in the Ob: field). Also, I added a “track to” constraint to the empty, targeted to the sphere, so that the z-axis of the empty is always pointing to the sphere. The position of the empty is animated from frame 1 to 30; Now if you render and play the movie, you will see that the pupil texture “follows” the empty. I hope that helps…

By the way, here’s a tutorial about moving eyes that might interest you:

http://calvin.sdlfk.org/calvin/CartoonEyes2/

in this example the texture is not moved, but the eye ball itself; anayways it gives a nice illustration on how to use emptys to control movement.

Attachments

moving_tex.blend (149 KB)