Questions for those new to Blender

I’ve been seeing posts here and there from people stating they’re new to Blender. Let’s hear your story.

• Did you try Blender in the past? If so, what made you change your mind?
  • What other software are/were you using?
  • Does Blender do what you need, or are things missing?

Welcome to Blender!

1 Like

I first tried 2.49, back than I was working in game development and a colleague started using it more and more often. Left click select, navigation in general and UI threw me off, felt like it’d be more intuitive if I was left handed. Gave it a try with 2.5 and maya viewport presets but since I was using maya on a daily basis I didn’t see a good reason to switch. Tried it once-twice a year since then, but only really sticking with it for the last 6 months or so. I am using it however on a daily basis in vfx production since then.

Started in 2004 with 3ds max as a freelancer, started working in production in 2005 using maya (had to use xsi and 3dcoat for a while as well), but it was mostly maya and zbrush for me, substance painter on and off when freelancing on the side. Swapped maya for blender in 80% of the cases now, vfx pipelines being built around maya there are situations I do have to use it, but it’s mostly for publishing my work though.

It’d be unfair to request features like zbrush or substance have - obviously it’d be nice to get a couple of them and I think it’ll get there over time. My work being quite specific I mostly miss a good system for shape keys, I’m doing facial shapes most of my time and doing inbetween or corrective shapes is quite convoluted at the moment.

1 Like

Well, I’ve been using Blender for a bit now, moved from Lightwave 9.6.
I first looked at Blender, as I am sure many did, in 2.49 days, ye gods what a nightmare, I tried several times and gave up.
I looked again at around 2.6, what a difference, I spent a day or so just doing the basics, getting a feel for it, very soon, I realised it had the edge over LW in terms of modelling. I find it to be be pretty much everything I want. There are only one or two “native” tools of LW I would like in Blender and an LWCAD clone or port would be welcome, otherwise, it ticks all the boxes ofr me personally.
The only other software I use now is substance painter, which makes texturing a breeze.

1 Like

I started using Blender way back when its user-interface was “simply awful.” But, even then, I was amazed at what it could do – and this became my introduction to 3D graphics.

Like each and every software product, it has its strengths and its weaknesses, its omissions and “to-dos,” but it has transformed itself from its earliest days, particularly in the realm of user interface. Also, since it is being championed by a *Foundation" (and people …) who seriously care about it, it has become a “poster child” for cooperative, open-source software development. I’m still excited to watch it grow, and to use it.

Today, Blender is a “professional computer graphics and(!) video production system.”

1 Like
  • Did you try Blender in the past? If so, what made you change your mind?
    I tried it many years ago, I don’t remember the version number. TBF, I did not give it a fair chance back then because I was horrified by the UI and couldn’t even figure out the most basic things. Instead I got this weird 3d cursor (which I understand better now that I am familiar with Modo’s workplane).

• What other software are/were you using?
    I used pretty much every 3D software before Blender (excluding XSI). I used Max & Modo professionally in the games inudstry for several years. And also learned Maya, Zbrush, Lightwave, and some others as a Student. I just love trying out different tools and software and staying up to date with the industry. Modo was my most recent tool of choice, I own a personal license and it has been my big love for many years.
    I am giving Blender another try now since 3D is no longer my main job (switched to a UI/UX/Management role). But I still enjoy doing 3D and some indie game dev as a hobby.

• Does Blender do what you need, or are things missing?
    I do mostly low poly game assets, so the tools are definitely more than sufficient. It is more about having a comfortable workflow.
    What I still struggle with the most is the snapping and changing the “working pivot”. I can work around it, but it seems quite tedious. Maybe I am doing it wrong but I have heard the same thing from other people as well.
    One thing I did change was the move/rotate/scale hotkeys. I love hotkeys, but I had trouble hitting the right axis hotkey, so eventually I changed the hotkeys to give me the gizmo by default so I don’t have to guess the axis again. I will probably change more hotkeys in the future, but I want to become more familiar with the defaults first (there should be a warning when overwriting an existing hotkey).
    The texture baking felt pretty awkward. But I assume there must be some addons to improve this.
    That said, there are also a lot of cool features and addons in blender that I am very excited to try out in the future.

Everything else seems fine so far, although I have barely scratched the surface.

2 Likes