QUICK ? on edit vs object dimension

why is it in object mode when I use imperial units, I can put in 7 for 7 feet and if I do .7 I get 7 inches. but in edit mode when I do this my mesh is like 2 times larger? I recently found out the reason I was having scale problems with my image textures is because in object mode it stretches the mesh compared to edit mode.

I am so use to using object dimensions that I know I can just do object dimension put it in wire frame then do a mesh in edit mode and trace the object for the right scale but, to me it seems to waist time if I can figure out how how to do this. I mean I could divide it since object 6 is 6 feet but in edit mode it is 12 feet so i would put 3 feet but. why does this do it? the plank below the large one was doing half the dimensions to get the real world imperial units of the top plank that is the same size

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/35467

Attachments

maybe this has something to do with it :wink:

so…are you saying modeling in default or meters will just keep everything even compared to imperial with it’s inches feet and yards? ?
I am thinking maybe it has something to do with scale in grid and imperial scale. because I guess scale of 1 is feet and like .305 is inches and then you got the grid spacing, so think you have to model in one or the either and not both inches and feet regardless.

right now I have been reading the manual and I found this and it says entering 1 in numeric would move your extrude to 1 blender unit. so why is mine doing double?
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/3D_interaction/Transform_Control/Numeric_Input

but one last question it says here you can create a custom axis, now does that mean you could do scaling like that so it’s not making the mesh like warped when it’s not in world or global?
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/3D_interaction/Transform_Control/Transform_Orientations
or either way you have to reset the the rotation to model. I was practicing molding veins in a leaf and I noticed this. It seems it get more complicated when you think about it then to just do it. lol

“A vertex has no concept of scale, size, rotation or dimension, but just position” - true, agreed. However as soon as we have 2 of them things change and it is not a cloud of electrons with relativistic positioning somewhere in the ether anymore. We do have a distance measure in between which can be scaled (same S key) and when return to Object mode Object has changed it’s size. Without applying anything. Scale value we used is not being kept in UI and we are not supposed to do any additional moves as opposed to Object mode scaling where this causes headaches for each one not keeping fingers ready to push Ctrl-A immediately.

We are given ways to see distances and angles, we can scale things and even enter values however one needs to be seriously prepared to make adjustments like “make this thing 5 units long” when it is at 3.14159 mark currently.

Knowing that i’ll run into camera clipping or floating point errors which will produce unknown later i just pretend that Cube will be 2 cm or 20 m for this particular project and feel happy that i do not have to deal with pyramids and graphs in finalbarrage’s image ;). Real world measures matter upon export (render, sim, later in a day anyways) only.

Axis - say i’m into making Blender’s Cube model, real size, 2x2x2m. Should i care where is the Earth rotation axis while measuring where to cut MDF? I don’t care shed walls either. All i need is my local direction along the side of MDF. This is where Custom Orientation comes in. This is where it should have started actually, it’s just coincidence created by some beautiful mind that Cube’s orientation coincides with Blender’s Global when you open a new file. Take initiative - select edge and say “This will be MY X Axis!” - add new Custom Orientation, select it and be free of Globalization forever.

because I guess scale of 1 is feet and like .305 is inches and…

I find it annoying that the scene scale setting rounds off at 3 digits right of the decimal. If only it allowed one more digit, you could use a scale setting of 0.3048 and work just fine with imperial while maintaining things to metric proportions internally. (Oddly enough, those four digits right of the zero are all that’s needed to correctly and evenly convert between units.) But Nooo… It has to round to .305 and breaks the functionality of being able to do that. (Although I could swear in some older version of blender it didn’t interfere and round the scaling setting.) :confused: