Quiet Evening on the Scrap Mountains

Hey everyone, here is my latest project. It’s about a man who lives in the massive scrap piles outside a city, who is enjoying a clear evening. It was my submission for the CG Boost ‘Life on a train’ challenge.
Here is the finished image:

And here is a clay render:

The background city and docks were imported from google earth (which was a massive time saver! Here’s a tutorial for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Q7dbtXVZQ&t=238s) and the character was made in MakeHuman. The rest was made by me in blender 2.93.
The scrap piles were done using geometry nodes, which I found to be great for quickly scattering the objects, although it was very easy to accidentally overload my poor computer with too many polygons!

This was my original concept painting:

I came up with six different concepts for the challenge, and ended up going with this one.

I thought I’d also share what I was trying to do with the composition. Maybe someone might get something out it:

The idea was to try to guide the eye around the scene to the different storytelling elements using the composition of the scene. In this case I tried to use the ladders, the direction of the character’s gaze and the curve of the scrap piles.

It’s a composition idea I’ve known about for a while, but this is the first time I’ve really tried to implement it intentionally.

Whether or not it actually worked is up to the viewer I guess. It’s definitely something I’ll try to work on in future projects.

There’s a gif of my test renders progressing over the course of the project over on my Artstation that was too large a file to upload here. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/eabW43

Thanks for checking out my artwork!

17 Likes

Very well done, the pastels really balance the rusty foreground textures. That’s a lot of modeling! Since I’ve barely worked with geometry nodes, I’m curious as to how exactly they’re better for scattering than particle systems? More control, I gather? Good luck with the contest!

1 Like

Thanks! I just used the geometry nodes for simple scattering for this scene, which could have been done with particles, but the advantage is you could make the scattering arbitrarily complex just by adding more nodes. And I think the nodes interface is nicer to look at too.

reminds me the view out my window.

1 Like

Great work, :+1:
congrats.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Really nice work :+1:

1 Like

Thanks very much!

1 Like