"railclone" as a start idea

hi,
i tried to make a simple facade along spline geonode system, like the cool “railclone” for 3dsmax.

its only a start, nothing thats in any way on the way yet.
at the edges of the curve it has its small problems, with small facade elements its not that big problem, but if elements get wider…
if someone can optimize or help to make it better, you are welcome.
i´m just a beginner in blender and not that experienced.

greets thomes

geonodes_facade_follow line_02.blend (1.2 MB)

Hi. Since you’ve edited the post it’s kind of less clear what the problem is :sweat_smile:

You’re instancing on points, you’re also read the Tangent from those points. And it does not exactly coincide with the direction of neighboring edges (unless both edges are on a straight line).
So you might want to work with edges instead. For example you can Convert to Mesh, read vertices on edge, calculate edge directions, and go from there. We have an existing thread with that solution somewhere here…

OR

You can convert curve to Bezier and read its Handles’ positions. They will point along the edges in this particular case (“Vector type” handles).

Not exactly sure what’s going on with the length of the segment on the corner though… :thinking:

1 Like

thanks for the tip…it looks a lot better at the edges with bezier.
i will look into the mesh thing.

…at the end of the day its quite more difficult to make this work right…so in 99 percent of the cases the lenght of the single facade modules do not fit with the length of the partial curve…so what to do?

…there are several possibilities, from slicing the last facadeelement at the edge, scaling the last one that it fits…scaling all elements a bit that all fit and is not quite visible…and i think many more…

this all you can define in railclone… for me, much too much to handle in my first 2 month with blender…

but railclone is so mighty…i hope someone makes a tool like this…itoosoftware is, as it seems, not going the way towards blender :disappointed_relieved:

I suppose it has to do with how “Resample Curve” works. The resulting curve is merely an approximation: the “length” is taken along the original curve, so all the segments are almost always less than the target length. The straighter the curve, the closer is the approximation. And extreme curvature results in very short segments.

if you visualize the result of the resampled curve over a viewer, you can see what comes out…, so some of the instances on the way must come out rotated … the curves looks the same with “set spline type -bezier”

if you have straight lines, you have a clean subdivision… even with very curvy curves, i dont think that the elements get shorter…but maybe they overhang or overlap …at every point the system makes one facade element instance with 1 meter…

Something that I’ve tried before but only managed now:
Split Bezier.blend (89.6 KB)

Also added here:

This allows you to split spline/Bezier on a selection - examples provided split on the corners… This will allow you to keep sharp corners in your groups (while resampling).

Good luck.

3 Likes