Railroad Apartment

https://imgur.com/a/busEJHx

Modern railroad apartments are often seen as a nuisance these days – their hallway-free design easily creating a lack of privacy for roommates who want to use the bathroom or kitchen without stampeding through bedrooms and personal space. In a time where we are more isolated than ever, I’m re-imagining this apartment design as a way to connect with roommates and neighbors through sheer inconvenience.

I created the basic apartment layout from a floor plan I found online
Railroad Apartment Floor Plan

And slightly tweaked the design so I felt right for my needs:

The bulk of the project was spent doing interior design on 4 full apartments (each 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, and a common space). To distinguish the individual apartments, I treated them as having different groups of tenants:

from beginning to end: roommates in their 20s, a couple in their 60s, plant obsessed people, and a startup group (based off of the house in Silicon Valley). Then I selected furniture, wall colors, decor to match.

For the exterior shot, I used stock footage of an abandoned railroad track and simply comped the CG train on top of it.

~10 million vertices, both shots combined approximately 17 hours of rendering.

12 Likes

Man, this is utterly fantastic! :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

Extremely well done!

(And now I’m just curious, were those notes on the piano a subtle nod to Thomas & Friends :steam_locomotive:)?

Good catch! It’s actually “Take the A Train”

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!