Random Rotation?

I’m making a grass field so I can link it to other projects for architecture and it’s looking pretty okay. I was wondering though about how random rotation works. I recalled Andrew saying this:

So I played around with it and it is indeed really annoying to try and get. And I don’t seem to be able to get it working very well. My grass toughs have there rotation and scale applied, the z pointing up and so on. But it doesn’t seem to matter what setting I use for the rotation (object z, x, y, global, etc). The grass toughs just don’t seem like they want to rotate along there individual z.

Now with that being said, I have about 15 or more objects I’m using. So the randomness looks fairly decent and I’m fairly happy with it. So I can live with what I have but it would be nice to figure out this random rotation shenanigans.

I’m having the same issue with Coconut trees as the dupli object. The best I can come up with is to create copies of the tree and rotate each copy then put them all in a group. Then there is an option to randomize the object from the group that is emitted.

I have not tried it yet because I was looking here on the forum to see I I was missing something obvious.

Yah, this is also my solution as well. Kinda sucks really :confused: