RBF Drivers - An innovative new rigging tool

RBF Drivers - An innovative new rigging tool

RBF drivers are a fast, simple way to significantly enhance rigging in Blender. If you’re trying to solve issues with constraints, fiddly weight-painting, or complex and time-consuming driver setups, RBF drivers can often provide a solution in minutes that otherwise take hours, days, or isn’t possible at all.

Having seen the benefits of RBF (radial-basis function) systems in other software such as Maya and Unreal Engine, I wanted to bring them to Blender, but in a way that worked for Blender users: seasoned professionals and relative beginners alike.

RBF drivers offer something very unique over constraints and other driver types. Instead of defining how you want the rig to do something, you define what you want it to do. Move your character’s bones, adjust controllers, shape-keys or other properties until things are exactly how you want them to look, and record a “snapshot”. RBF drivers fill in all the blanks for you and smoothly interpolate everything while you pose or animate

If you’re not familiar with RBF systems and how they improve rigging, take a look at the explanatory blog post.

For more detail on the addon, full documentation is available online

The addon itself is available on Gumroad here. Blender Market coming very soon.

4 Likes

Looks like it has a lot of potential. Just bought it but not sure when I’ll have the time to give it a go :slight_smile:

Thanks Todor! Let me know how you get on. Excited to see what people create with it and always open to suggestions.

1 Like

RBF Drivers is now available on Blender Market: https://blendermarket.com/products/rbf-drivers
Enjoy!

Will do. I read a bit of the Manual and it looks super promising.

Version 1.1 is now available on Gumroad, Blender Market and Artstation!

New Features

• Support for Blender’s x-mirror option
  • New Shape Key driven property type
  • RBF drivers can now be copy/pasted to new bones
  • Driven property stack now supports reordering
2 Likes

Version 1.2 is now available on Gumroad , Blender Market and Artstation !

New Features

• New advanced pose options. Pose weight and effect can now be adjusted and driven!
  • Multiple transform channels and shape keys can now be added as driven properties in a single pass using the Add button dropdown
  • Mirrored shape keys are now supported with x-mirroring and paste symmetrical using standard left/right suffixes (.L, .R, etc.)
1 Like