Re-fitting a glove to a new model

Hello, I’ve only recently gotten into modeling and I’ve been working on a port of a clothing model to another body model. While it’s been going pretty well for the most part. I’ve felt like I have been hitting my head against a brick wall of recent with the gloves. I normally default to simply looking around the internet for answers. I’ve can’t seem to pull up anything for my issue I’m having with these gloves. So here I am to find any guidance.

While I was able to get the lace part of the glove (just below the elbow) where it needs to be. The original model’s fingers default pose varies so much. It makes refitting the rest of the glove an issue I feel. It seems no matter what I try. I can’t seem to get this gloves to match the proportions of the arm/hand without something becoming grossly disfigured in some way, especially around the fingers.

Since the “fingers” part of the glove are only suppose to cover up before the middle phalanx of the finger. With the forearm and wrist part of the gloves not being skintight. Along with the hand and fingers being skintight it has been much more of a hassle then I originally thought it would be.

I’ve tried these in no patricidal order and different combinations of solutions. These have worked for me on other parts of the clothes I have worked on already.

• Breaking up the model into varying parts (Fingers/Hand/Wrist/Forearms)
  • Shrink-wrap Modifiers
  • Manually trying to shape it both with and without proportional editing.
  • Sub-dividing
  • Tri to Quads

I’m not sure what else I could try or if I’m using the right tools, but are not applying them correctly.
I’ve also dropped a .rar file with the .blend file in it. Since the .blend file is too big to upload directly. It is a cut away from the full body model if you wish to mess around with it.
Gloves.rar (894.3 KB)

Have a go at putting the glove in position over the wrist and hand.
Then switch into sculpt mode. A combination of the grab and inflate brushes will do a lot of the work for you.

2 Likes

The topology of the glove is quite different to the hand though (especially between the thumb and finger). So getting a good fit that doesn’t clip could be tricky.
It might be easier to copy a ‘glove-shaped’ set of polys from the hand, and use that as the base shape of the glove.

If refitting manually disfigures the glove model, perhaps it isn’t defined enough to withstand the deformation? You could also try shrinkwrapping the glove to the hand to help in the refitting process. Check “in front” in object properties so that it shows unoccluded by the hand model.

I’m sure you have mr Karamazov

Have you looked at the Mask Modifier?
Hide the hand where it is under the glove.

Is this something like what you’re looking for? I didn’t get the textures, so it’s a little hard to tell if things are too distorted or not. It looks okay on my end. Maybe you can use it as a starting point.
Glove Port.zip (586.4 KB)