Real time append scene form different blend file?

Is it possible to append an entire scene from another file in real time? I’m trying to make a sort of common library of objects, so that it will be a lot easier to edit a character in mid production. Instead of going through each file (I work a lot with the game actuator, the separate files make things cleaner) editing the main character, I only have to edit one, which will then be imported into each level during loading. Is this possible? Also, is it possible to move files from scene to scene and layer to layer in real time? It doesn’t matter if it causes huge lag, as it will only fire once during loading. This way i can continue with my environment, and if i think of something else to add, it won’t mean redoing everything i have already done.

Sorry I don’t have an answer for you but I’d be really interested in finding a solution to this problem. For my next project I’d like to build a ‘city’ and predictively stream or load in new areas of the map

You can link objects (Ctrl-L) between scenes, so if an edit is done to the object the same change will take place in all of the scenes it is linked to. The only issue is the object copys position as well, so to copy a rock from one scene to another you can link it, then duplicate it Shift-D then delete the linked object (not the original), and use the duplicate in a different location.

That only works outside of the GE. I need something that can work in an .exe, thanks for trying to help hough.

You can link objects (Ctrl-L) between scenes

That only works outside of the GE. I need something that can work in an .exe, thanks for trying to help hough.

Odd, it works for me. That’s how I’ve always done it. How are you trying to use this again?

ctrl-L works for linking objects NOT in real time, And only within the same file. I’m looking for a way to have a running game pull data from a separate .blend and import it into the current running scene. Basically I need a python script that will import objects from an outside source in real time. if you look at most games you’ll see different files, like units.data. The game will take information from that file during loading and import it into the running game. This is what I want. hopefully that cleared some stuff up :wink:

ctrl-L works for linking objects NOT in real time, And only within the same file. I’m looking for a way to have a running game pull data from a separate .blend and import it into the current running scene. Basically I need a python script that will import objects from an outside source in real time. if you look at most games you’ll see different files, like units.data. The game will take information from that file during loading and import it into the running game. This is what I want. hopefully that cleared some stuff up :wink:
Yea, I get it. You make an empty scene and ctrl-L your character there. Then you could link (not append) an level or object from an external blend file. Then you could edit the object in the external blend file. I haven’t tried it for myself but it should work.

Edit: yup, I just tried it and it worked. It even works in the BPPlayer. You can link your object to the main game and then the external file can be edited. It works great.

wha? ya lost me. how do you link to an external file?

OOH! ok I saw it file-link. I think I get it now! sweet!

First, make an object in a blend file and save it somewhere. Then make a new blend file. This time, go to “File”>>“Append or Link”. Look for the first file you created and select all the objects you want. Then towards the bottom of the window, select Link instead of Append. Last save your file to the same directory as the external blend file and your done. Run the file and it will have your linked data.

Edit:

OOH! ok I saw it file-link. I think I get it now! sweet!
You made me write all that for nothing… =P
Oh well…

Perhaps i can make it up to you by BOWING AS IF YOU WERE A GOD!! thank you soo much! works beautifully! Thank you!!!

Gah! slight issue…he’s frozen. nothing is working, do i have to initiate something or did i just do something stupid?

sorry, i had the object file open as well as the level…false alarm…

good news… for game development…!

Yes but I think you can not move, rotate, scale…or anything else this objects in the second blend file that is actually the level, so if I want to link one crate and multiply it all over the scene this should be impossible, because you can not edit or transform the linked object.
Please prove me that I’m wrong…I’ll be glad to be wrong.

Unfortunately I think you are right. You cannot transform the linked objects :frowning:

But you can move an instance (shift-D) of the linked object :slight_smile:

Sorry if I’m being a bit stupid but can I dynamically link objects from different blend files when the game engine is running?

For example in a GTA style game can I dynamically load a road section and then when the player has passed this area of the map can I remove this road section from memory?

I watched a video on the apricot blog where they were linking to props from other blend files and moving them about and snapping them to the ground surface… so maybe go watch that… and see if it helps?

Sorry if I’m being a bit stupid but can I dynamically link objects from different blend files when the game engine is running?

For example in a GTA style game can I dynamically load a road section and then when the player has passed this area of the map can I remove this road section from memory?
In Blender GE every object on invisible layer and every texture that is not used when the game starts are not loaded in the memory. And when you add some of these objects to visible area you can remove them later, with script or logic brick. You don’t need another blend file to do that.
Linking blend files make sense to use linked file for library, so when you change one item in this library, it changes everywhere in other blend files.
Adding and removing objects from the game scene(memory), can be done in many other ways.

Thanks haidme

Very useful information but from what your saying I still can’t dynamically load objects from other blend files?