Realigning the 3D-axis to move an object's own axis?

Does anyone know how I can scale/grab/rotate an object along its own axis? I’ve been trying to adjust the size of a particular bone by grabbing the point where it is connected to another bone and dragging it upwards, but I also want it to be as straight as possible so I want to change the 3D-axis so that it aligns in the direction of the bone, as highlighted by the red arrow in the picture below:

The problem though is that I don’t remember how to realign the axis anymore, as its been a while since I’ve last had to that. I’ve tried doing a Google Search for a solution and all I could find where suggestions of pressing XYZ twice in succession after hitting G, S, or R to make the switch, but unfortunately for some reason it doesn’t work, so now I need help in how to do this.

Does setting the axis from global to normal work?

1 Like

After trying your suggestion, I’ve determined that the problem seems to be that I cannot switch the 3D-axis while I have the bone’s connecting point highlighted, it only seems to work while the bone itself is selected. This a problem since that would mean that I can’t grab the bone’s connecting point and drag it along it’s own axis to where I want it to be.

Maybe this will have some insight. I had no idea about the ctrl+n options for setting the bone roll axis and to view the rotation axis as well. How do you align to an axis AND fix bone roles?

1 Like

Hit g for grab. Now hit y, y or x, x or z, z and move the mouse

(move on local x y etc)

1 Like

You will need to select the bone and add a Custom Transform Orientation
3D View > N-Panel > Transform Orientations

2018-07-16_01-21-06

Then select the tip and press G, Y, Y, to move along the bones Y axis.

1 Like

Unfortunately, that doesn’t work. When I try to input Y, Y, X, X, or Z, Z after hitting the G key, it simply locks and then unlocks the 3D-axis in whatever direction I selected.

Where I can find the Transform Orientations option? Looking at your screenshot, I don’t recognize that part of the interface at the all.

3D View > N-Panel > Transform Orientations

1 Like

As proxe says that is the best way to do it. You might have to create a temporary plane on the same angle as your bone to align the manipulator to its normal.

IMO not having a workplane or way to manually rotate the manipulator to the desired angle is a shortcoming in blender.

1 Like

Sorry for not responding for a while, I got caught up with trying to deal other parts of my model, and so it was only recently that I finally got around to trying the solution that was recommended here. Fortunately it worked as suggested and now I can adjust the bone’s size along its own axis just as I initially wanted.

Thanks a lot for all of the help provided!

Whats wrong with placing 3D curser at the point of interest Shift-S ->Cursor to Selected and then select bone’s head or tail and Shift-S ->Selection to Cursor?
You could even assign quick shortcuts to these by right-clicking on and assigning say Q and Shift-Q.