Realistic holes in a wall.

Hey,

I’m making a scene with an old room with holes in the roof and cracks in the wall etc. Because I don’t want to have alot vertices I made a hole in the ceiling of the room model. Then I separated that edgeloop and extruded it upwards and then subdivided it several times so I could sculpt all the details without having to much vertices on my room model. Though because the room is lowpoly the hole doesn’t look realistic, it’s too jaggy.

Can anybody explain me how to make realistic holes? It must look like a part has fallen out of the ceiling and that piece of concrete should be lying on the ground.

thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Make the hole out of a deformed circle and then rebuild the missing part of the roof around it. You can duplicate the circle and split it up for a base to make the fallen pieces

so if I understand this correct I should make a different object for the roof as well so I can give the hole more vertices?

maybe i get you wrong, but if you want to model a hole in the ceiling, think about how it is build. there are wooden beams and isolation between them and and some kind of floor covering, if it is a normal house to live in. if it is some kind of factory or bunker or something, maybe the ceiling is made from concrete with concrete reinforcement. you’ll have to model this in some kind to make your ceiling look realistic.
some of the details can surely be faked with a good texture if you want to keep your model lowpoly…

walk_on_sky

could you post a pic to give us an idea of roughly what you want the hole to look like? like someone put their fist through the wall, or what?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/05/israelandthepalestinians
this is what I would like to create. As if there has fallen an asteroid through the roof or something and as walk_on_sky said: with reinforcement etc.
Here are also some pictures from what my scene looks like right now.
http://img294.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=holemodel.png

I guess you guys can see the two different objects selected in the pictures :slight_smile:
The problem is that the hole in the "room"model has way less detail than the “hole” model
So how do I get them have both as much vertices without having so many vertices in my “room” model?

I hope you guys understand what I say. My english is not my main language so it’s hard for me to explain the situation (:

There’s really no easy way to do this, but you could make the hole model the shape you want, then duplicte the lowest ring of the hole and join it into the roof model to get the exact shape of the hole. Then you just use the automatic fill to make faces between the roof and the hole shape (make a simple lowpoly hole in the roof first, which is larger than the hole shape). The topoogy will not be very good but that won’t matter since it’s going to be a static model.

thnx alot! this worked perfectly for me! I wouldn’t think of using the fill function but as you say it’s a static model so it doesn’t matter if the mesh’s topology is bad.

thank you all for the help (:

Ah that kind of hole. Have you ever used RGB normals maps? These could be a great help in this situation, as far as conserving polys. What you can do, is to model a low poly version ( for the render ) and a high poly version ( to generate the normals map from ). Then you have to UV map the low poly one, and bake the normals of the high poly mesh onto the low poly mesh. When you see it in the render, you won’t be able to tell the difference. ( hopefully ).

I have thought of using normal maps for the smaller details indeed but I still had to cope with the problem of the hole attaching to the ceiling :slight_smile: though thanks for the assist.