Recommended approaches for lens flares in Blender 2.8 (Cycles)?

Just looking for a recommended – and hopefully easy – way to add lens flares in Blender 2.8 Cycles.

I was hoping that the Flares Wizard add-on worked, but it has not yet been updated to 2.8 and I’m not 100% sure if I want to try to upgrade the free version to work in 2.8.

Suggestions?

Where is version 2.8? what URL?

What I mean is, the Flares Wizard add-on is only for Blender version 2.79. There is no version compatible with Blender version 2.8.

I may try upgrading the free version of Flares Wizard to run on Blender 2.8 since it looks like such a great script, but I first wanted to check if there was something better that already works on Blender 2.8.

Please use “lens flare” sparingly – if at all. It’s a visual trope, often accompanied by a soundtrack of cicadas in hot desert scenes, but real-world photographers work very studiously to avoid them. That’s why there are hoods on the lenses: to prevent this stray light from bouncing into the optics.

1 Like

It took a little bit of work, and I’m not convinced I’ve squashed all of the bugs yet, but I was able to convert the Flares Wizard add-on to Blender 2.8.

Mods – feel free to delete this topic.

Hi! Could you share the ported Flares Wizard script? It used to be my staple, but I haven’t got it to work in 2.8 :frowning:

cmon… big guys don’t do lens flares and glows in render

The current state of the script (nearly everything is working except for the “use obstacles” feature, and that appears to be a Blender 2.8 bug) can be found here: How to attach a template_list to objects' visibility

I’m not that big. So what’s good free alternatives? Points to tutorials?

1 Like

BlackRainbow is right.
These kinds of effects are done in comp, so you can tweak to your hearts content.

There are a lot of addons available in the Blender Market for stuff like this, color correction and some:

Hope this helps,

Rob

1 Like

I pretty much used flares wizard as a comp tool. Just render the flares as a separate pass on a black background and screen them back over.

Flares wizard is the only tool I’ve seen for blender delivering quality lens flares and its cheap. Cant really afford nuke or after effects just for some flares :smiley:

But thanks for the tips-

Alright, Thanks a bunch!

Not sure if you can still get the free Blackmagic Fusion version, but have a look at that. Very powerful too, and once was used a lot, as was Shake. Until Nuke popped up :wink:

Best lensflers ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0x6JzF1T78

@amon_paike Thank you for linking Flared. We’ve found a trick that let you use Flared with Cycles. It’s not a new functionality of the addon, but it could be a way for people who need to have lens flares in Cycles. You can find a fast video here: https://youtu.be/Ao2_PbLzCIc

1 Like

As a “professional” photographer I am telling you guys: lens flares are precious IF they look good and are used wisely. We want lens flares to have certain properties. We scour the web for old russian lenses for the correct lens flare. We avoid them when we go for boring and “correct” images - we cherish them when they inject magic into great scenes. Which brings me back to topic: I want my renders to have magic - and I want it to be physically accurate magic :smiley:

1 Like