Red Panda Muppet 3D Model

The Red Panda Muppet is a project I’ve been wanting to create for a while now. It’s a product of multiple things that inspired me.

1. Childhood Nostalgia: I’ve always cherished the old-school ‘Loeki de Leeuw’ commercials and the timeless magic of Sesame Street. As a child, Sesame Street was not just a TV show; it was a measurement of how late I could stay up. (If you know you know)
Recently those fuzzy characters from the ASN bank commercials also left a lasting impression on me. (Sorry Dutch commercials, that’s where I grew up)

2. Theme and goal: I felt it was time to create something fluffy and fun. Usually, I go for stylized hair or fur style, but now it felt like the perfect time to go realistic.
The goal was to create something that would fit seamlessly into the world of the Muppets and Sesame Street.
Most of the Muppets are based on some animal or creature, so I decided to try and create one based on one of my favorite animals, the Red Panda.

3. AI Exploration: I didn’t want to spend too long on concepts, so I thought AI could help me out. Unfortunately, all my credits were gone. In the end, I’m happy I didn’t go that route because now I had an excuse to draw something. (With my limited skill :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) The concept will be on the bottom.

4. The Creative Process: Grooming with the new hair system was an absolute blast. The old particle system felt a bit finicky at times to me.

Everything in this project was accomplished using Blender, with just one texture map blurred in Clip Studio Paint. From modeling to retopology, texture painting to grooming and lighting – it was all done in Blender. I’m incredibly proud of how it turned out, especially when I compare it to the original concept. It’s a big leap from concept to a finished project.

5. Follow Me: If you’d like to see more of my work and what I’ll be sharing next, you can follow me on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/mv.artz/

Concept art:

34 Likes

Good job with fur! I like it!

1 Like

Very cute and funny work :stuck_out_tongue:

P.S. Your “IG” link provides to your blenderartists’ profile, I think you better drop a full regular link instead.

1 Like

Thnk you! The new hair system is a joy to work with. Way better then what we had before imo.

Thank you so much!:star_struck:

Good to know, i edited the post with the instagram link.

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Amazing! Bedankt Bart! Super leuk!:star_struck:

**you too have a great weekend

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Nice, can’t wait to see it animated.

1 Like

Same!
I’m heading out to Czechia for a nice little vacation, but honestly can’t wait to get back and animate this character.

Would’ve hoped that hair simulation would be more user-friendly by now, but understandably these things take time to develop :smiley:

Yeah, you and me both. Been working on other things while I wait, was hoping Blender 4.0 was going to have the new hair and cloth dynamics, but guessing not.

1 Like

So beautiful work :heart_eyes:

Appreciate that mate!:grin:

1 Like

Wonderful work, I hope that (soon) the devs will release a practical simulation tree example or preset. We really need to have that in GN hair curves, for animation.
Collision could be added in the mix…
…just thinking…

1 Like