reflection map

ok, i feel like an idiot asking that but
i cannot get a refelction map ready
so that only special parts of my mesh
are reflective and the rest are no reflective.

i tried everything out.

andybody can help me out?

claas

Tried vertex groups?

na i do not want to add a material to a vertex selection but rather have a texture map definind where the object is reflective.

claas

You can use a greyscale map in the RayMir channel, make sure RayMir button is enabled. Black parts of your greyscale will not reflect, white will be 100% reflective.

Here is an example, the puzzle sphere has one mat with one texture, the texture is mapped sphere, and only to the RayMir channel, no color etc.

The RayMir button is activated.

This map I used is not black and white, I lightened it so the continents would reflect some.

Attachments

crazy you have to lower the ray mirrow level to 0% to get real non reflective areas based on your texture map.

is that normal? it doesnt affect the reflective value of the white area at all.

You can muck around with what values get mapped where with the Dvar and Var buttons.

I don’t have a full understanding of it, but there is this page which somewhat describes it.

I didn’t mess around with the value in RayMir, but I know that for transparencies I had to set the Alpha to zero for it to use an alpha map, which in my mind makes sense, I turn off a value so I can use the values stored in an image.

i see it all makes sense now! :wink: