Reflective surfaces...

how would you go about making a mirror? one that reflects like a regular mirror.

me bumps his head on keyboard

why oh why noone ever:

1 - Read the top post ‘current list of tutorials’

or either

2 - perform a search on the forum

one for all

http://www.blendedplanet.com/tutorials.htm

Stefano

for the exact same reason people keep asking about Python path problems despite the PythonPath 101 thread…

Martin

Probably because all my tutes were on iptic and they are no longer up as well. I need to find a new server for that stuff.

BgDM

because most of the posts under tutorials are:

1. outdated

2. to complex to follow due to its written by someone who doesnt speak english for a first language.

3. its not the most oragnized tutorial list i’ve seen in general. so its hard to tell if thats exactly what their talking about.

4. cause this annoys the bejesus out of you.

5. the search algorithm for this forum isn’t all blue skys and green grass

6. alot of links are dead

now if their is anyone here who knows how to do this i would much appreciate the help.

S68

the tutorial link that you gave doesnt show how to do flat surface mirrors. only for curved surfaces. “But you can use it for flat surfaces!”, nope even they say that its different. check the bottom of the page you’ll find this there:
"Getting accurate flat mirror reflections with envmaps is a whole different beast! We’ll have to cover that one another day! "

www.blenderwars.com has a good one on planar env maps.

This is true for some, not for all, and reflections in particular
haven’t been updated in blender, so…

I deeply regret that English haven’t yet wiped out all other idioms
from the face of earth, but I’m glad that tutorials aren’t written
in Dutch - Blender’s mothertongue.

okie

bejesus is not in my dictionary

Indeed no! It is PHP.

As BgDM said, iptic died iesterday, and many of us had tutes there.

That was the first link on the list, and I don’t think it’s that bad.

The second link is indeed dead

The third link in the list on reflections
http://www.michaelv.f2s.com/tutorials.html

has actually a full movie explaining how to do planar reflections.

It is implied that being Blender a scanliner reflections can NOT
be exact and accurate.

Stefano

The third link in the list on reflections
http://www.michaelv.f2s.com/tutorials.html

has actually a full movie explaining how to do planar reflections.

It is implied that being Blender a scanliner reflections can NOT
be exact and accurate.

Stefano

the tutorial doesn’t work. tried it 3 times and still nothing is reflecting.
There is an error in the tutorial. When it tells you to put the “Ob:Empty” is the problem.
It needs to be “Ob: Plane” and the empty isnt even needed by it at all.

I re-viewed the tutorial.

The only weak point is that it is not said that the y axis of the empty should point to the camera.

In the material -> texture setting for the plane the Ob of the Envmap must be the empty you cannot use the plane itself.

Be sure about the trick on the layers. The plane must be on a layer which is not rendered in computing the envmap.

Stefano

i’m using the plane itself and its workin great. i dont even have the Empty in there anymore and i still have reflections unlike haveing the Empty in there and no reflections.
here is the file:
http://www.cs.ttu.edu/~gentry/reflectionandmirror.blend

lol, you don’t see a problem there??
because planes are flat, reflections aren’t warped at all like on a sphere etc, so an object appears the same size in the mirror as it really is. In your file it is five times the size.

Try

www.selleri.org/Blender/buffer/reflectionandmirror.blend

I added the empty and I moved the plane on layer two… %|

Stefano

You call that great? You must be 13 years old or something, it looks terrible and completely inacurrate. Follow the tutorials instructions and it will work. I hate it when people state that there is a problem with a tutorial when the problem is with the person reading the tutorial and not the tutorial itself.

i’m using the plane itself and its workin great.

ahem…yeah…works…uh…great…

I myself had some problems with envMaps. From my experience, there is no ONE tutorial that works very well. I just read a bunch of them, and tried different combinations of stuff until I got something I liked.

Piece of Advice: Dont come here and bad mouth any aspect of blender. You will most likely get angry posts and no help :slight_smile: At least, thats all that ive seen…

Good luck to ya!

dante

hey, i’m only 14!