Relocate library path

Is there any way to relocate a library path?
For example making it to relative path.

When Blender dont found a library, it changes all missing objects to null objects. This is very bad. Sometimes I make a mistake to use absolute paths… Blender kills these objects, all link informations lost… :frowning:

So I think there is no way to fix this? But maybe…

yes, though its not pretty.

First thing to remember is if you cant load the library paths your quite screwed, the blend file will open and loose lots of links and become unstable.

To make the file load you have 2 options.

• Move the blend file to the location its looking in.
  • HEX Edit the blend file to point to a new location.
    Note
    a while back broken was having problems win32 paths on a linux renderfarm so I made it that “C:\foo” acts as “/c/foo” on a linux/mac system. This means you can create the path on a unix system, otherwise C:\ would never resolve to anything useful.

Note
HEX editing- ofcourse you shouldn’t have to do it, but its not all that bad, I had to do this on a few files for BBB, you can also add in secret messages after the filenames zero string terminator.

------- snip

Now if you can load the blend file and you want to move you project do this…

File -> External Paths -> Make Absolute. (makes all paths absolute libs/sound/fonts/textures etc)
(move your files about)
File -> External Paths -> Make Relative

If you move the files around and change where they are in relation to the the blend file you can use the Find Files menu item but this isnt any help if your libs are not found on loading.

Note that you can also change the a library path by Ctrl+Clicking in the outliner, it will say if the new path is not found so your not at risk of messing up so baddly :slight_smile:

Note that you can also change the a library path by Ctrl+Clicking in the outliner, it will say if the new path is not found so your not at risk of messing up so baddly

Whooaaa! Where you found this information??? Oh, this save my life!
Thank you!

“External paths-Make relative” is not my favourite function, most of the cases it doesnt work for me…

Ahhh! I am mad now!

After finishing our racing game and using link and libraries for 6 month, now a very strange thing happened. The “Relative Path” button always off, and I can set it “on” as default.
Always when I want to link something I need to press it.
This is dangerous, becaus if I leave it off when linking, the object will be on absolute path.

This is very strange, because on the racing game works I never press this button, so as I rember it is at “on” by default.

Strange!

man, this brings back memories. :slight_smile:

when we can’t fix the things in blender, we fix them in hex editor. naturally.
glad to hear you had the same going on with BBB still :slight_smile: it’s one of those things that make blender adorable.

.b