REMASTERED caustics A shrimp, a pink gold and gemstones shrimp (front and back view)

Hi!

This is what I will call the final render, with caustics, LuxCore 2.3 rendered
Only the vignette effect is post production.

Totally created and modeled in Blender 2.83 alpha
Design by Damien Rohrbach. The other renders are a mix between diferent renders, some made with CYCLES and others made with LUXCORE.
This 3d model is ready for 3D print. Jewel will be made in rose gold, diamonds and pink tourmalines.

I made this montage :sweat_smile: I mixed something like 20 images to achieve the ocean view for the shrimp, hope it works ok

Scaled down images

Also made the back view (the back is "obviously hollow for weight reduction purpose and aesthetical reasons)

Full image
http://www.centrodearteydiseno.com/images/POSTER-JOYAS-ROHRBACH.png

Full image BACK SIDE
http://www.centrodearteydiseno.com/images/POSTER-JOYAS-ROHRBACH-back.png

VIDEO

WIP

23 Likes

This looks great, actually the first shrimp I got to call “beautiful”. :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile: I know, during the process it felt creepy :confounded::fearful: from time to time, I wasn’t sure if I was modeling an alien monster or an actual jewel, I even thought changing the idea. But well, glad you liked my little monster.

1 Like

hey, nice work ! relly dig it.
i love the shading.
i am curious, how much of the shading was post production ?
can u give us some tipps for the shading ?

1 Like

Thanks!

I made 3 different renders. CYCLES gives more light to the gemstones,
but the dispersion is tricked. LUXCORE gives the realistic result, with dispersion
and less light, as it would be in reality. The post production is a very simple mix
with different transparencies between the renders and the vignette effect (post was done in a simple 2D software).

About the shading, the scene has only one light source and the HDR background.
As you can see, the HDR file makes a huge difference. For the gemstones it’s all about the IOR,
for the rest, floor has tiny bump and displacement, metal has bump. AO is activated for the scene.
Materials are created for CYCLES and for LUXCORE. Each renderer produces some artifacts, so mixing the renders helped minimize those.

1 Like

Ah and also used an alpha mask rendered from Luxcore to make the final montage.

1 Like

& again, thank u so much for sharing, motivates & inspires me !
i am very excited to see future works, keep it up (:

1 Like

Great, most welcome. Keep that motivation up!

you can simply use Luxcore shadow color to help boost light in the gems.

1 Like

But I said darker is real, like LuxCore does it and also adds a correct dispersion even in dark areas (you know I love Luxcore). Gemstones where fine, in this occasion I just wanted to experiment with mixing different results from different render engines, because they deliver slightly different results in bumps, refractions etc… I think it did enhance the overall result.

This is what I will call the final render, with caustics, LuxCore 2.3 rendered
Only the vignette effect is post production.

2 Likes

This is what i can call a monter render. so much realism. please update the first post with this final beauty !

1 Like

Thanks! I am honored (I taught I already had updated the original post :joy:)

This is great! Cool design and great render. Will it be printed in wax and cast in gold later or what will be the process in such a case?

1 Like

Thanks! Glad you liked it. Yes, then the shrimp will be printed with a DLP printer in resin, then casted in gold and hand finished.