Remesh UV?

Hi,

I just can’t believe remesh modifier destroys UV’s when being applied

so I duplicated my model (SHIFT+D) and applied the remesh modifier on that one
then I tried transfer data, but it does not transfers the UV’s at all

I get an error : Mesh has 1024 loops (for 256 faces), expected 2864

I tried Transfer Mesh Data and Transfer Mesh Data Layout

they just relink the objects data

• how do I copy UV’s from the remesh object to the aplied remesh object ?
  • why the hell does remesh destroys perfectly working UV’s ?

thanks for your help

[edit] I tried to bake from one object to another, but it’s all black

Remesh destroys your UVs because it completely replaces the old polygons with new ones and basically reconstructs the model from nothing, it’s a reset for the model’s polygon layout.

This is also why you can’t transfer UVs: it can only be used between models that are the same, because the polygons and their UVs have to match.

Remeshing is by its very nature a destructive and messy operation. You would use it when sculpting a character (possibly multiple times during the process) so you can keep adding new parts and more details. Then, when the character is complete, you would do a cleaner retopology and create the final mesh of the character. Only then would you create the UVs, when you know the model won’t be changed again.

2 Likes

then why is texture paint working just fine ?

trying to rebake the texture makes blender crash, I’ll have to repaint everything, so I just wasted hours for nothing

Your image texture must be using generated coordinates instead of UV coordinates. etn is correct, you should UV unwrap after remeshing or any other destructive operations. You should only UV unwrap when you are 100% certain your mesh has been finalized

I learned my lesson (I hope)

I am not exactly sure what your situation is here or what you mean. But usually, you should be able to transfer the paint by using the bake feature.

1-Duplicate the object, remesh only one of the copies. Keep the 2 objects on top of each other in the same space.

2-make sure the original object has the paint job set as its diffuse texture. Give the remeshed object a new material.

3-In the new material, create a new image texture. It doesn’t have to be plugged into the material, but it needs to be selected when doing the baking.

4-make sure the remeshed object has UVs. They don’t need to match the old ones, we are going to reproject the paint job onto new UVs.

5-Time to bake. Select both objects, making sure the remeshed one is highlighted (selected last). Have the new texture selected in the material editor. In the bake settings, check “selected to active”. Set the bake type to diffuse and uncheck every option except color. Hit bake.

6-If the results have holes in them, you may have to adjust the “extrusion” setting in the bake tab. Add it progressively by small amounts.

7-Once you have something good enough, go to the image editor and save the new image.

1 Like

Oh, I should add, the bake feature uses the number of samples in the render settings, but you don’t need a lot for baking, a single sample may be enough.

Also, Baking is done in Cycles, so you will have to switch if you are in Eevee.

something I’ll try next time

thanks for the infos dude